promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

When you are writing a story---I need help on something!?

When you are writing a story and if you have a character that is going to talk for a while, and about different things--do you write it in separate paragraphs, just like you would when writing? For example:

"Betty, I was out in the pond yesterday swimming. The water was warm and there were lots of fish."

'Oh and how is Fred?' (well let's pretend each sentence is equal to five sentences).

So if you can show me how I would puncuate this, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes you do. Betty: "I am going to swim, whoul you care to join me".

John: " No, I am enjoying a joint right now, probably latter" lol.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Alright...you would place the quotation marks at the beginning of where the speaker begins, and end quotation marks when he/she finishes what they are saying. However, if there is something placed to interrupt or give direction or explanation, you would end the first part of the quote and then add new ones when you continue the statement. Example:

"Betty, I was out in the pond yesterday, swimming. The water was warm, and there were lots of fish. Oh, and how is Fred?"

OR

"Betty, I was out in the pond yesterday, swimming. The water was warm, and there were lots of fish," said Trish, with a slight smile. "Oh, and how is Fred?"

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.