Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 1 decade ago

If i watch the spanish channel all the time can i become fluent in the language???

I've been doing that lately and i was wondering if it is possible.

but i heard that you can only be fluent in a language if you're exposed to it 24/7

Favorite Answer

TO BECOME FLUENT IN ANY OTHER LANGUAGE, IT WILL TAKE MORE THAN JUST WATCHING TV. REMEMBER THAT FLUENCY REQUIRES MORE THAN JUST FIGURING OUT WHAT IS BEING SAID. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE EXPOSED TO THE LANGUAGE 24HRS A DAY ALTHOUGH THAT WOULD BE A BIG PLUS AND OF COURSE YOU BE FLUENT FASTER, BUT AS A SPANISH TEACHER WHO HAS BEEN TEACHING SPANISH FOR OVER 15 YEARS NOW, I WOULD LIKE TO ADVISE YOU TO TAKE CLASSES AND COMMITT TO ABOUT TWO GOOD YEARS OF STUDY AS WELL AS SOME EXPOSURE AND YOU WILL BE FLUENT IN NO TIME. FOR THOSE WHO ARE ABLE TO EMERSE THEMSELEVES IN A LANGUAGE, IT IS THE BEST WAY, BUT FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT ABLE TO UP AND MOVE TO MEXICO OR SPAIN OR SOME OTHER SPANISH SPEAKING COUNTRY, TAKING CLASSES AND GETTING INVOLVED IN THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY IS A GOOD START.

Oh yes.

Immersion is key.

It is the way I learned Spanish and French.

If you can't actually BE in that specific place where everybody is speaking the language, the next best thing would be to watch it 24/7.

You may pick up alittle bit, but you wont become fluent. I took Spanish for 4 years and never passed it. But after marrying my husband who happens to work at a Mexican restaurant, I have become very fluent.

Only if you understand some Spanish could you ever figure out what they are saying...you have no "give and take" when watching. It would be different if you were immersed in Spanish..at least words could be acted out and shortly, you would understand more and more...but no, just watching is not going to work at all.

Probably not becsause it is not in a elementary environment or space, If you realy want to learn one of the (5) major dialects of spanish perhaps belitz language tapes can help you..

First you should love it , so you can enjoy it while you're watching it and then you'll got to be fluent in it ....