Veiling of women in the Islamic world?

Is to emphasize the subservient position of women with respect to men, as stated in the Quran. But what are the parallels between this dictum for Muslim women and the very different ways that contemporary American women are encouraged to think about aspects of their physical appearance?

Favorite Answer

I was going to give a long, intelligent answer, but I'll leave you to write the paper for yourself-earn your grades.

• I was once told that it was to keep the men from being distracted by the beauty of the female body & not so much emphasize the "subservient" role.

Well, I would say that both are just aspects of two different cultures- neither good nor bad. We don't have to wear veils, but we are in constant worry of how we appear to both and women. Islamic women must wear veils, and while it seems subsurvient to us, they like it and prefer it. With our freedom to wear anything we are able to express individuality through dress, make up, hair styles etc in public and plain view. But with their hijabs they are experiencing a type of freedom too, are they not? :)

Is this part of your thesis?

Hmmm....parallels would be in the behaviors and mannerisms

Differences would be the above, upbringing and their dressing.

Lots more as this is sort of a heavy topic. It'd be interesting to discuss this in a group setting.

they are completely opposite sides of the spectrum babe