Why is Lake Ontario sometimes called the '"Main Duck"? (I know it containes an island called the Main Duck)

Favorite Answer

I think perhaps you made a spelling mistake.

Lake Ontario is sometimes called the "Mane Duck" and there is a very good reason why.

Have you heard of the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland?

Loads of people claim to have seen it but it has never hurt anyone, probably because it doesn't exist.

However the Mane Duck that lives on and in Lake Ontario, does - and a nast vicious little thing it is too.

I mean, you thought that Daffy was hard? Phew, that's nothing compared to the Mane Duck, so called because it has a mane like a lion.

Legend has it that it came by this mane by eating so many lions.

Now, I know that you are going to say, "Hang on a cotton pickin' minute, there ain't no lions anywhere near Lake Ontario," and you'd be right.

The duck ate them all.

So the moral of my little story is - never, never venture out on Lake Ontario alone, in a rowing boat, if you are a lion.

Phew - now THAT'S an answer . . . . . . .

i know you know it, but that's the answer. they call it main duck because of that island.