promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

my cutlass calais engine gets WAY hot!?

I have a 1989 olds cutlass calais, and although it does turn on, it seems that my fan wont kick in until after my engine gets BURNING hot... it is a dohc quad 4, is that normal? Also, it runs out of water often, does that affect it, or vice versa? it doesnt actually "overheat", blowing steam or anything, it just gets WAY hot and thew radiator is bone dry like every other day. Any advice?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

check for leaks , water pump, thermostate senser for radiator fans, water in oil see if front floor board is wet

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Sam X9
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

There must be something wrong with your cooling system. Check the fan belt and the water pump, it should be tight (the belt) enough to rotate the pump. Check whether your radiator and its accesories (hoses) or engine block has a leak, water should stay in it at least for a week before filling. Check the oil level. Lastly, check your temperature meter, it is probably not working properly. Cooling systems are the main life of an engine.

• bobby
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It sounds to me like you have some serious problems. The cooling fan comes on when the engine reaches a set temperature. You have a serious water leak somewhere, If you dont see any water leaking , it is possibile you have a blown head gasket, which would be evident if you see a milky color under the oil cap and/or see white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Source(s): ASE certified mechanic, 23 years
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you don't see any leaks, then the engine has a blown head gasket or a cracked head. It's possible that the thermostat is sticking but the loss of water is indicative of of an internal or external leak.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

By a new engine block fan, and time it for daily use. I like cutlasses, they'e old school, my friends dad has one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

check your oil if to much then head gasket is gone relay for fan may be dun in or thermostat

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Buy and older japanese car. beleive me I learned the hard way.U.S. cars are junk.

• 1 decade ago

you have a leak go get it fixed

• 1 decade ago

call me when YOU get hot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.