my cutlass calais engine gets WAY hot!?

I have a 1989 olds cutlass calais, and although it does turn on, it seems that my fan wont kick in until after my engine gets BURNING hot... it is a dohc quad 4, is that normal? Also, it runs out of water often, does that affect it, or vice versa? it doesnt actually "overheat", blowing steam or anything, it just gets WAY hot and thew radiator is bone dry like every other day. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

check for leaks , water pump, thermostate senser for radiator fans, water in oil see if front floor board is wet

• Sam X9

There must be something wrong with your cooling system. Check the fan belt and the water pump, it should be tight (the belt) enough to rotate the pump. Check whether your radiator and its accesories (hoses) or engine block has a leak, water should stay in it at least for a week before filling. Check the oil level. Lastly, check your temperature meter, it is probably not working properly. Cooling systems are the main life of an engine.

• bobby

It sounds to me like you have some serious problems. The cooling fan comes on when the engine reaches a set temperature. You have a serious water leak somewhere, If you dont see any water leaking , it is possibile you have a blown head gasket, which would be evident if you see a milky color under the oil cap and/or see white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Source(s): ASE certified mechanic, 23 years

If you don't see any leaks, then the engine has a blown head gasket or a cracked head. It's possible that the thermostat is sticking but the loss of water is indicative of of an internal or external leak.

By a new engine block fan, and time it for daily use. I like cutlasses, they'e old school, my friends dad has one.

check your oil if to much then head gasket is gone relay for fan may be dun in or thermostat

Buy and older japanese car. beleive me I learned the hard way.U.S. cars are junk.

you have a leak go get it fixed

call me when YOU get hot.