Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Is affirmative action stupid? What will happen when whites are the minority?

I have a question. Am I dumb for thinking that we should put skin color behind us and not give anyone special merits or considerations solely based on their race? I understand that affirmative action was needed - AT ONE POINT IN TIME. I think that it as well as similar programs are now being grossly abused - ex: College scholarships for people who are a minority (I actually got this), well how about we give people scholarships based on how hard they're willing to work whether or not they're white black etc. And affirmative action, well what if someone else is more qualified? I wouldnt expect to get any perks based on being a woman or skin color. Which brings me to the idea of reparations, get over it, most people who were enslaved are already dead or almost there. If your grandma beat up my grandma in 1937 I wouldn't demand money or special treatment from you because it's the past and people have advanced since then. Do you think people just want to take shortcuts?

Favorite Answer

All affirmative action is in itself highly racist

In a truly enlightened society all are equal and so should each receive equal treatment

Think about what you are saying. Affirmative action was created in a time when some schools would not even allow black kids. It was a way to get black kids into colleges and basically force the schools to integrate. It's all well and good to say it's wrong, but the fact is, we still live in a society where a black man running for president is historic. Eventually, affirmative action will be unnecessary, but we're not there yet.

As an Asian woman, I do believe that AA is ignorant and racist in its own terms. If i worked my butt of for a student loan, degree and a position and someone else got the position "just because". I'd be pissed. Just because the color of their skin.That is not every man is created equal. If I were that person accepting the "given position". I'd feel like a piece of unworthy crap. Applications should be blind on color and only on qualifications. I do not know other than the interview, how the employers know who is what. I feel it is for who has worked the hardest, made sacrifices, and has the most passion, motivation for the job. I agree AA is a bunch of whinny crap, prove yourself, not what you think you entitle. We can all come up with something from the PAST, we are in today. Thank you.

Source(s): I have turned down AA positons that i had fit into, as an Asian female. I do not want any special treatment, who could sleep at night?

Its more complicated than a grandmother hitting someone elses grandmother. Affirmative Action is place because we don't live in racially equal society. Not only do minorities face economic setbacks but discrimination is very real. If you ever work or look at the corporate world you would understand that. Not to say that the current Affirmative Action isn't flawed. I believed it should address economic and racial issues.

Whites are becomming the minority and are in many places. Affirmative action is basicly apartheid since it persecuted the majority population

I hate "affirmative action".

My reason is...because this law allows people who are truely NOT quallified for a job, able to get the job before some one who is fit for the job.

Yes, I am a white woman....& I live in the south, where racism is still very thick...

But if a white man is the better person for a job....he misses out due to this law.

You ask "what about when whites are the minority"? In the city I live in, and have all my life, whites are fewer in number than Mexicans, but still are not considered a minority. We never will be. Minority status does not count for white people. It should be determined by demographics, but it is not. Minority is politically correct for "not white".

Yes, do away with affirmative action.

• ratboy

There wasa time when affirmative action was essential, right at the beginning of desegregation and integration in the 60's.

But by now, I think the playing field has been leveled enough and now the quota system does more harm than good.

It depends on where in America you are. Most of America is mostly white until you get to the international states like NY or CA. Affirmative action is good for minorities and for whites when they are the minority. Everyone deserves their chance.

Affirmative action is inherently racist and promotes tension between races. People should thrive or fail based on their own merits. Anyone who says this isn't possible isn't trying hard enough, and uses their race as an excuse.