Should I look for work or collect unemployment until I am called back to work?

I have been told that I will be laid off work from my small factory soon. I don't know if I should go out now and look for a different job now or wait until I am laid off to look or just collect unemployment until I am called back to work. I am a member of the UAW union and I have recall rights. What would you do?

Favorite Answer

Look now. You need a more stable job, and it is far easier to find a job when you have one.

Start looking now. Unemployment can be a long process to sign up for depending on why you were let go from yourjob, where you live, your age, etc. Besides, it will look better for a future employer if they saw that you had another job awaiting you after this factory job. If you just collect unemployment until something "comes around", it won't look professional or suitable for a good resume. Good luck to you :)

Source(s): Personal experience with an unemployed friend

Start looking now, but by knowing that you Unemployment (for a period) to fall back on you don't have to accept the first job you find unless you really like it. Otherwise by waiting until you are already on unemployment, you never know what will happen.

Do both!!! Collect unemployment while seeking a new job and see what turns up first. You may get an amazing offer the doubles your salary and provides you with job fulfillment (or both). Don't limit yourself!!! See what the stars have in mind for you and your future by opening yourself up. Good luck in whatever happens.

• Collect unemployment, then get a job that pays under the table.

this is ur time to relax ,collect ,then you go back