Is my snack actually as healthy as healthy as I think it is?

Since I'm a vegetarian, I derive my protein from sources other than meat. I can't stand nuts, but I found that I like pecans. I usually mix them with cranberries or other dried fruit for some sweetness. I've been told that this snack is pretty healthy, but I was searching around the net and haven't found a clear answer. If anyone has any experience as a dietician or health professional, could you tell me how good of a snack it is or it isn't? I'm trying to lose some weight as well, so if this is really fatty or anything, please let me know. Thanks!!!

*Serious, intelligent answers only, please*

Why is it that people always respond without actually answering the exact question, but instead give some oddball babble?

Ok, many of the responders seem to have the idea that this is the only thing that I eat, or that it is my only snack. It is not!!! Nor is it my only protein source. It is simply one of the things that I like to eat as a light snack in between meal times. I eat a widely varied diet with lots of soy, fresh vegetables, etc etc. No need for the lectures on getting all the right stuff or how to have a great diet or what "healthy" really means. All I wanted to know is if this ONE FOOD of dried cranberries and pecans is a good snack or not. Shheeesshh!

But thank you to those who actually answered my question about the actual snack itself.

Favorite Answer

Don't listen to people who tell you that nuts have "fat" in them. Of course they have vegetable fat, but it's the "good" fat. Anyone who avoids nuts because of the fat is nuts, in my opinon. Your snack is OK, but you are not getting enough protein from that. You need soy or grains like amaranth, which is sky high in protein with zero fat.

I think that nutritionally it's great cranberries are a good source of vitamins as well as the pecans, plus you are getting two servings proteins and fruits. Should be ok because the pecans and cranberries are low in calories. I think I'll try that it sounds delicious!

• Rich Z

All nuts (including tree nuts like pecans) are filled with fat and are fattening if eaten a lot. You should look at some ethnic cookbooks, like Indian ones (since many of them are vegetarians), to get some ideas for varying your diet. Also talk to a nutritionist to see if you are really eating a balanced diet. Pecans and cranberries don't add up to complete protein so you are messing up your body on your do-it-yourself meal choices because you won't get all the components your body needs to grow and maintain itself.

Pecans are very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a very good source of Manganese.

Nutritional Summary for Nuts, pecans

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20oT....

Cranberries:

The Good

This food is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium.

The Bad

A large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars.

Nutritional Summary for Cranberries, dried, sweetened

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21uL....

Click the below link. I'm into healthy eating as well. Pecans with fresh fruit would be better. I even like pecans with low fat yogurt. I hope this helps! :o)

you have to define healthy. Too many people these days define "Healthy" strickly by the calorie content. Me and you know that we need our calories and as a veg, they are harder to get. Pecans are very very very high in fat. they are the highest in fat by weight of all nuts (no exaggeration). They contain loads of other vitamins though as do all nuts. I wouldsay they are healtthy in a moderate quantity. Overeating pecans or any other nut can and will make you fat.

It's all in how much you eat...the cranberries you can eat tons of; pecans are very fatty and you should only have a couple of ounces per day...

I know that dried fruits have a lot of sugar in them and most nuts have a lot of fat in them. But generally that is a very healthy snack

• Bent

You know that you will never get a straight answer. Everyone has their own opinion, so I go by this. If god made it, it's good for you, if man made it, throw it away. So therefor, your snack sounds good to me!