What size tile would work and look best?

My husband and I are thinking about putting tile on our front porch. It's 10 x 13 roughly size room. Would 6x6 size tiles look better or would 12x12? What do you think?

Favorite Answer

I would go larger either 12 x 12's or larger. The larger the tile the fewer grout lines you will have to deteriorate over time. With such a large porch you could even do a random pattern mix with sizes as large as 18 x 18 and small as 6 x 6's, they usually will also have 12 x 12, 12 x 6 and 12 x 18, A good tile store can give you the pattern of what this might look like.

If you use the straight up 12 x 12's you might add interest by punching up the pattern to a diagonal or a slip joint, sometimes referred to as brick lay. Again ask for the patterns at the tile store or visit www.floridatile.com, www.crossvilletile.com, www.daltile.com. All of these websites will have great suggestions on pattern.

Only wrong thing you're doing is to assume that the tile makers wouldn't change the size in all these years. A 2 x 4 isn't 2 x 4 any more either. You won't be able to hide it. If you don't mind looking at it then continue on. If you can't stand how it looks then you should replace the whole floor.

if you are going for a mosaic look then 6x6 tiles would definitely be the answer, but there are more options with 12x12's especially if you want to mix and match materials.

I just put tiles on mine and used a combination of two sizes - square and rectangular in a pattern though they are the same kind of tiles. I like the look.

For what it's worth.

I personally think the 12x12 look better

that depends if you want it to look bigger or smaller.

the rule of thumb is if you put small tiles diagonally it will make the space look larger.

but on a space that siz it might not matter. i do still like the diagonal look, though. either way, keep the grout small.

12x12 or 18x18 would look best

12 x 12 - easier to keep clean, easier to replace and they are more in vogue right now.

• Janna

18x18 layed on an angle