What is the formula that determines the proper size ladder for a house?

The gutter is 23 feet from the ground. What size extension ladder is appropriate? What is the proper angle for the ladder to rest against the gutter?

• Andy S
    Favorite Answer

I believe about 75 degrees is about the ideal ladder angle. Too much of an angle reduces the ladder's strength, and not enough angle could cause you to tip backwards. You should dig in the base a bit. Let's assume the ladder is dug in about an inch in height and 24 feet in height allows it to rest comfortably against the top with a bit of clearance. Trigonometry tells us the smallest ladder should be at least 24.083'/sin(75°) = 24.933' which is about 24'11". I say buy at least a 25' ladder, make it about 24'11" long, dig it in about an inch and place it about 6' (5+1/2)" horizontally away from your house. You will be incredibly safe with this particular configuration. Please don't sue me if you fall.

I have read some of the material that has came with my ladder before and I remember that it has to have 4 rungs more than what your climbing. Dont remember anything about angles but about 50 should be proficient.

32 ft ladder has a working distance of 27 ft keep the ladder back 1/3 the distance of the hieght