I am a african american women who want to know how I can i stop over processing my hair using a relaxer?

Favorite Answer

I was a hairdresser for 15 years, and one thing I never really understood was WHY relax hair in the first place? God gave us all the perfect hair type for our race, and we aren't satisfied, we have to curl straight hair, and straighten curly hair. I honestly think african americans look better in a shorter 'natural' than in a style that isn't natural for the race. The big "fro's" of the 70's were a bit overboard though.

But if you insist on straightening and your hair is sensitive, press & curl is less damaging than lye relaxers.

My name is Tracy and I'm a hairdresser. Actually, relaxing your hair is WAY less damaging than the flat ironing you probably do to your hair. Without "perming" your hair, you'd be left with something more like an afro after shampooing...which would be VERY time consuming to flat iron. My reccommendation is to not stop relaxing, but to use a milder relaxer like ammonium thioglycolate often marketed as a thio relaxer (look for no-lye...and since no-lye could also be guanidine relaxers, check carefully for ammonium thioglycolate). Be careful, because guanidine relaxers are MORE DRYING than your regular lye relaxer.

Also, you cannot use an ammonium thioglycolate relaxer if you have any metallic haircolor OR have used a hydroxide relaxer. Doing that will cause your hair to smoke and will suffer a lot of damage.

You'll have to let alllllll of the hydroxide-relaxed hair grow to the point it's all cut off...and I know that can take a while for african americans. Which means you'll have an afro growing out for a while. But hair is an investment...and investments take time to develop.

Make sure to use plenty of moisturizers daily...or especially after shampooing. Here are some additional tips:

1. Moisturize after shampooing.

2. Make sure hair is COMPLETELY dry before flat ironing.

3. Use a thermal protector (usually comes in spray or oil form) on your hair before flat ironing. This will ensure that the flat iron burns the thermal oil...not your hair.

4. Use a daily moisturizer.

5. Stay away from gels and other styling products that contain alcohol.

5. Hair spray with alcohol is fine. Holding the can at least 10 or 12 inches away from your hair while spraying will ensure the alcohol evaporates before it reaches your hair.

I hope this helps.

You should really be seeing a Salon professional. But, in the mean time, PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOX. Only Relax the new growth and relax your hair every 6 to 8 weeks NOT BEFORE and NOT AFTER no matter what YOU think or FEEL. If you are getting alot of breakage please see a professional. Also, before you start the process, base your scalp and hairline and apply a lite conditioner to the hair (not the roots) this will prevent overlapping of fresh relaxer onto the previously straightened hair, hence overprocessing it.

Source(s): I am a Salon pro..

Basically coat your hair with conditioner that didn't work for you on the previously relaxed hair, not the new growth. I made a boo-boo and accidentally got some on the new growth and that section didn't process properly. But I will live since when I get a another touchup, I will have my stylist go over that section if neccessary. Good luck.

• I'm totally natural. Stopped perming my hair about 3 years ago. Just braid/weave & transition. I have pics if your interested.

you have to be careful not to overlap when you retouch. some relaxers come with pretreatment stuff to protect your hair, but any and all relaxers are damaging to your hair

use a ceramic hair straightener same thing as an ironing comb..just dont get your hair wet.