Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Baby question?

Ok I am not a new mom. But I am new to breast feeding this time around. I was wondering if this has happend to any of you and if it is normal. My daughter was born on Friday and I am nursing her. It is really hard to do this. Everytime she latches on she will suck for about 1 min and fall asleep! I keep at it with her undress her a bit rub her jaw so she will suck. But she just wont stay awake and feed. She has had a few wet diapers today. But I am not sure on how to keep her awake so that I know she is getting enough. Plus it seems as if she never wants to get off the breast. Should I let her stay on as long as she wants? Or do I cut her off at a point?

Favorite Answer

She's too comfortable to eat. This happened with my daughter too. I had to lower the temperature in the room, and undress her to get her to eat. If you are really worried, call your local public health nurse and have her come over for an in home visit. She'll be able to tell you more things on how to get her to eat, and if she's gaining enough weight. Good luck, congratulations!

If the baby keeps wetting diapers and seems happy, she's getting enough. Sometimes they fal asleep right away because they wanted to nurse to relax. But like you said, other times she never wants to get off the breast. Either way is okay. You don't need to take her off the breast. But, after between 10-15 minutes (per breast) she's gotten all the milk out. ***However*** sometimes babies suck a lot "extra" (longer) during a growth spurt, because the extra sucking causes an increase in milk supply.

With my two kids, both who breastfed, my philosophy was, just let them nurse as much or as little as they wanted. It all works out. Obviously if something seemed terribly wrong (no wet diapers, for instance) common sense would say, call the doc. But that basucally never happens.

Even women who say "I had to give formula, I didn't have enough milk"---they almost always DID have enough milk, but either they or their doctors were inexperienced with breastfeeding, and were worried needlessly.

Sometimes we (adults) have days where we eat more or less. So do babies. They might not eat exacyly ten minutes per breast every two hours. That's ok.

If you are having concerns, I would suggest calling a local La Leche League leader. (Try your phone book, or google the web site to get a local phone number.) They have a ton of specific education on breastfeeding problems or questions, more than most pediatricians. If there's a question they don't know the answer for, there are resources (breastfeeding specialists) they can consult. They are all experienced breastfeeding moms. All their help is free of charge!

Good luck! :-)

When she falls asleep, try breast compressions: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15breast_compressio... They will help her get more milk and help keep her actively sucking which will stimulate your milk supply.

Wet diapers do tell you that she's getting enough. She should be making at least 6 wets in each 24 hours.

I was told to let a baby nurse for as long as he or she wants, up to one hour. The breast is never actually out of milk; milk is constantly being made. So long as the baby is sucking, she is getting milk and also telling your breasts to make milk.

There is no harm at all in letting a baby nurse for as long as she wants, but of course mommy needs a few mins to eat, brush her teeh, and pee now and then!

I was taught that as long as she is having wet diapers then its ok. Most moms do not now that breatfeeding can take all day. Most of the time one breast feeding session can take anywhere from ten minutes to an hour. Let her fall asleep. your milk will keep going in her mouth and she will keep swallowing. It is normal. Especially if she does not want to de done.

Check out

http://www.americanbaby.com

then do a search on breastfeeding. They are big supporters.

Good luck and do not give up. Word of advise, my 4 year old is the same weight and size as my 5 year old. I breastfeed my 4 year old. And will breastfeed the baby i am pregnant with now.

Let her nurse a long time, but not more than about 45 minutes total per feeding unless you want really sore nipples. If she falls asleep but she's still nursing I'd let her be. My daughter was a sleepy one too in the beginning. The nurses recommended undressing her, tickling her feet, etc, like you're already doing. In the next few weeks she'll be more alert and nurse longer for you.

Congrats on your new baby.

i was watching this show on TLC called bring home baby. the mother was having the same problem you are, and what the grandmother did was pinch the nose shut for a second and the baby staring eating again. it really worked. you have to make sure you don't do it a lot or too long. just a quick pinch and shell start eating. good luck and congrats.

I had the same problem. I decided to pump and bottle feed her the breastmilk. That way I was sure how much food she got, instead of having to guess. Don't let her sleep at the breast all the time--bad for you and bad for her. It's hard, I know. Good luck.

im only 17 and i no u think what do i no..... but if u stay at it for about 2 weeks to 2 month she should get it by then. my aunt had 3 and iv watched them grow up so trust me it will be hard at first. and its not that she just falls asleep it could be that ur feeding her often. let her go about......... i dont no, a few hours w/o eating and shell be hungery and want to stay awake to eat! and if you dont want to do that then u could use a brest pump and and bottle feed her!! but just try not to go from brest to formula to much it will miss up her track. but just stick w/ it for a long as u can bcuz ur boobz r goin to hurt!!!!

Source(s): nay

You should let her stay on as long as she wants the more she wants the faster your milk will come in