promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what kind of bushes grow in the middle of highways?

the bushes have pink or red flowers

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I haven't been there, but it sounds like rhododendrons.

Add: After further research, it could be the elaeagnus, also known as the silver berry bush. It has been promoted as ideal for highway medians since the 1960s for its tall, dense foliage that reduces headlight glare from oncoming cars. It is used widely along highways from Virginia to Florida.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think you are talking about oleanders - highways west of the Mississippi use this plant and for several reasons. They don't need water - winter rains will do - they look good and do sometimes block headlights from oncoming vehicles.

They are also great to grow in yards in just about any climate. The flowers come in many different colors are drought resistant and the most important factor - deer do not eat them!!!

However, you should know that they can be poisoness to kids and animals..i.e. dogs and small pet that may eat the leaves.

There are no rhododendrons that I know of in hwy medians - they require more care, water, feeding and dead-heading but are beautiful personal plants! :)

• 1 decade ago

If you are talking about in Florida.. Oleander is the plant growing in the center of the median. It is a tall plant that can have red, white, pink, and yellow colored flowers. It is a very common landscape plant, used all over Florida.

Oleander plants can take the full sun of Florida with no problem... azaleas however cannot!

There could be other, smaller plants, but I know Oleander for sure is one of them! I see it all over the place!

Source(s): Doctor of Plant Medicine
  • 1 decade ago

Either azaleas or laurel bushes are the most common in Florida area. During the hot summer months the Caladiums is another choice for ground cover.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In our state they have white painted lines in the middle of highways. They have found that the shrubs just don't seem to grow well with the cars going over them. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.