promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how is a labor induction done?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I just got induced on Firday. They will start you with an IV and then break your water bag. Depending on how you go they might not have to give you a drug to make contractions faster and stronger. I needed potossin to help move the cervix along. It is not that bad. Just get the EPI!!! It is a life saver! Good luck

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Usually with synthetic hormones to stimulate the body into going into labor. Sometimes the doctor will break the waters.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A lot of times they will give you a drug called patocin (sp?)...this will make your body go into labor, and it works very quickly...I went into labor 15 minutes after they gave it to me and had my baby 10 minutes later....of course at that point you won't care what they give you as long as you get that baby out of you and FAST!!!!!!!......and if your water doesn't break the doctor will go in there and break it.

Source(s): life
  • 1 decade ago

it is either with a gel that is inserted to the cervix with an instrument that looks like a "q tip" this way is supposed to be the most like natural and insertion of the gel is completly painless.

. (I had gel inserted @ 7:30am had baby @5:45pm ) another way is using the potossium drip through IV this way worked much quicker (I had injection at 8:30am & had baby @9:45am) things went alot faster

Source(s): either way you get a baby
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

By giving you an artificial form of the ormone that starts labor.

• 1 decade ago

you will go to the hospital at like 530 or 600 in the morning they will start an iv and they will put medisen in it called pitocine it will make you have contractions that will dialate you

• 1 decade ago

My girlfriend just had this done about a month ago. Pitosin disolvable tablets (oral) svaginally.tarted working in about 2 hours. Doc was telling us it is new, used to be IV or tablet vaginally.

• 1 decade ago

A couple of different ways. An I.V of pitocin,stripping the membranes or sometimes(but not recommended) nipple stimulation.

• 1 decade ago

Labor is induced by giving the pregnant woman a drug called pitosin. There is another drug doctors use too, i think it's called oxytosin (sp.???).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is a drug to induce labor by injection into iv. also by breaking the sac of water.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.