promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how many years do you have to have to become a lawyer and make your own firm?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Ryan D
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It takes a minimum of seven years of post-secondary education to become a lawyer in the US. Other countries, particularly England and Ireland, have a significantly shorter period of time.

After law school, anyone who wants to can go into business for themselves, but this is highly inadvisable, as you're likely to starve pretty quickly. The answer has less to do with a requirement and more to do with what you think you can handle.

I'm currently a law student at a respected school, and I don't know of anyone in my school either now or who graduated in the past two years that started their own firm right away. It usually takes a number of years after you finish law school to have the necessary experience and financial stabilty to make a go of it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You can start your own firm the day you get your license, and you can advertise and get customers, but there's one problem. They don't teach you squat in law school. I've been there. I spent three years at George Mason University School of Law and learned absolutely nothing from a bunch of tenured incompetents who couldn't teach a dinosaur to play dead. There are no real textbooks, only casebooks, which are just transcribed talk, not writing. Reading talk is a form of torture, and the people who do the talking are appellate court judges. Every last one of them is as dumb as a fencepost.

• 1 decade ago

you can pretty much start right after law school, but it doesn't necessarily mean people will flock to the firm- experience is a very big factor. so that makes it about 7 years or more.

• 4 years ago

you're lots greater appropriate off spending it sluggish analyzing. you have extreme college and faculty to end in the previous regulation college, and your grades initiating with freshman twelve months of high school will impression the place you visit regulation college (because of the fact your college alternatives relies upon on extreme college grades) and your regulation college will impression your decision of jobs, sales, etc. in case you rather won't be able to concentration on analyzing, you should do a touch diagnosis into the criminal occupation. that's unlike television - "triumphing arguments" will make you an unemployed lawyer, no longer a good one. shifting into politics includes a great style of paintings on the community point. you are able to no longer purely run for Senate (or despite), you're able to paintings as much because it by politics on the community point. a good use of it sluggish precise now ought to contain volunteer paintings for a reason you have faith in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.