promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

When can my one-year old have choloate?

When is it 'safe'? I know not let him develop a sweet tooth, but what about a treat? Also--what about chocolate milk vs. whole milk?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I don't think a little bit hurts, but I would avoid giving too much...especially before bed time (unless you want to stay up for a while ;-))

    And we just give whole milk. No chocolate milk...chocolate is for treats! Contrary to the above posts, pediatricians recommend whole milk until the child is 2. 2% milk (and less) is for big people...

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You can give your child chocolate at one year, don't go over board. But the experts all agree that you shouldn't deprive your children from sweets because that will make them want more in the future because they were never allowed to have them, in some cases causing obesity. Small amounts are no harm. Allowing your child the occasional treat is actually better than allowing none. But no chocolate before the first birthday, it can cause botulism which is a deadly form of food poisoning. Remember always in moderation. And dark chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate. I always made my daughters chocolate milk, whole milk with the nesquik syrup because the nesquik has added calcium and vitamin D. Good luck! But at one year the child wil probably only want whole white milk, better for them anyway. And remember brush those teeth and gums even at one year! You should start brushing when the first tooth pops through. They make baby finger brushes and tooth paste without the flouride.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    It is safe to let your one year old have a little chocolate. I would not get into the habit of letting your little one have chocolate milk. It is not good for the teeth and is a bad habit to get into. Stick with whole milk. A piece of chocolate, preferably without nuts, is OK once in a while.

    Source(s): BS Child Development, mom of a 2 year old.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I'd limit it - and remember, a little goes a long way when you're making chocolate milk. And absolutely make your own versus buying it ready-made - that stuff is FULL of fat and sugar versus making a glass with maybe a teaspoon of powder. Your child will never know the difference. Sweet fruit can also work as a treat - strawberries or pineapple...

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    That's entirely your decision however this is when you get to make most of your child's diet choices the only problem with giving sweets or food as a reward isn't always a good thing as I know maybe use other things for a treat reading a favourite book or playing etc..

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • hi,

    From my godson here, he can't have fully juice yet. Only watered down apples, or fruit juice. They can't have alot of sugar 2 much sugar isn't good 4 their bodies. It can lead 2 diabeties. Whole milk is alot better for him again that whole sugar thing is coming to into play. The doctor told kate not to give him anything with sugar until he is at least 3. No chocolate until he is at 3 years old. Trust me in the end it will pay off. My Godson just turned 15 months, and its helped him out alot.

    Source(s): my godson, personal
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    One-year-olds should drink whole milk until they turn two. If they don't like white milk, you can add some chocolate powder or syrup. It's okay for a one-year-old to have chocolate.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Your child can eat chocolate now, i have an 11 moth old son and he eats chocolate not very often but as a special treat. I wud stick to milky ways or milky bars at this age it basically dissolves in there mouth. Just remember not to give to much

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    No. It contains caffeine and some kids could have allergies. Plus, you'll be developing his sweet tooth way to early. There are much healthier alternatives for treats. My daughter thinks kiwis, grapes, berries and clementines are treats.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I give my 14 mth old a bite of choc. every once in a while.Doctors say not to because it has way to much sugar.Also try ovaltine W/milk instead of choc.milk it is loaded with vitamins.My kids love it.It is more nutritious than the other stuff.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.