sunshine asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 decade ago

you had to choose between saving a child and an elderly person, why and what would you do?

Favorite Answer

It seems like everyone agrees that saving the child would be higher priority. Basically, the child has only lived through a few years of his or her life and has boundless potential to develop and influence the world. The elderly person has already lived out a majority of his or her years, and so most likely would not regret it if his/her life ended at that moment. Is there any chance that I could save both? Both would most likely be pretty light and easy to carry, so I would call 911 and then try to save both :)

That's a hard one, but I would have to say the child; Their life is still ahead of them while the elderly person's is almost done; I would try to save them both, though.

I would save the child based on logic; the elderly person has lived a long life and accomplished what they could, while the child still has their whole life ahead of them to live.

But I would still feel like crap about it.

Ah, but what if I was the elderly person?

I'm 64 - I suppose that makes me elderly in most people's eyes here on this site.

But I'm still fit.

I am taking part in a 21 mile cross-country walk this Sunday -

Sooooooo, I can save myself AND the kid!

Problem solved!

the child because it still has it's whole life ahead of it. where as an elderly person has already had a chance to live a good life

depends on the situation. but the elderly as they have a better chance of surviving being resusitaed and living. a child can be stabilized but will crash right afterward. most people say the kid because of a life ahead but honest survival during a cardiac moment the elderly has a better chance of making it. but if they are both alive and needed to be escorted the child would be easier to move and the elderly person could be helped to safety so i would like to think i could save both

the child because the elderly has already experienced so much in life while the child has yet to find out what life is all about.

The Child, cuz they have their whole life in front of them. (I'm not being heartless towards the elderly, I'm just making a point of reason)

I would have to save the child.

The life ahead that I would be saving would have much more potential. Besides, the elderly person would prefer it.

a child ,,, for one the elderly would want it that way