What is the best brand of synthetic oil for my 2000 Corvette???

Favorite Answer

I think Mobil 1 was in your car from the factory. I would refer to the manual and use the recommendation. Corvette engineers use their own recommendations in their personal cars.

I have worked on cars all my life with over 40 years experience. I have a certification as a master mechanic. I have built more engines than I can count, and I will be the first to tell you, I don't have that much faith in synthetic oil! Maybe it is fine for a vehicle that is less than five years old, but get on the back side of five years and with a lot of miles on an engine, and you will be asking for trouble running synthetic oil. If I were you I would go with the oil the manufacture suggests. I build a lot of race engines, and I have saw a lot of engines blow up due to the oil being too slick! I know you may think I'm off my rocker, but I only use Casterol in my engines. If it has over 75,000 miles on it you need to use a 10w 40w oil, and when it gets to 125,000 move to a 20w 50w and it will go a long time. Don't get me wrong Synthetic oil is fine stuff, but I have seen it blow engines up! If you build a race engine, it's built loose to run faster (just like an engine with lots of miles on it) and if it's loose that means extra space in the bearing to crank clearence. Oil is used to fill this space, thus the bearings are actually running on oil, rather than metal to metal. Synthetic oil will not stay in the gap, but it will make more power, at the expense of bearing damage. I'm not against synthetic oils, I'm just telling you what I have seen over the years! Good Luck!

Amsoil is best followed by Mobil 1

Amsoil

use what it recommended in the handbook in the car, or pull the dip stick and it will tell you what is suppose to be in the motor , Best Oil Valvoline Dura Blend 10w30 Guaranteed, but the secret is to just keep it changed 3 to 4 thousand miles , that's the key, stay away from Pennzoil

Source(s): 30 years car & truck mechanic & motor builder

amsoil

mobile1

Source(s): gm tech