Has anyone ever travelled to England (or taken another very long flight) with a toddler (almost 2 yrs old)?

Has anyone ever travelled to England (or taken another very long flight) with a toddler (almost 2 yrs old)? How do you keep them occupied? My son is 18 months right now and I plan to take him to England (flight to NJ then catch another flight to the UK). He loves to be up and moving around and I am sure that he won't want to sit still for very long but I haven't seen my family in 5 years and really want to go.... Whats it like travelling on a flight for hours and hours with a toddler??

Favorite Answer

I didn't...but a friend of ours did...their trip was a disaster.

Because the plane was so full, they had to check their diaper bag. And so she didn't have any binkies or diapers. And then when the plane landed, the baby had an "accident". All over herself and her mom...and it just got worse and worse...

I don't think your trip can be any worse than that one...

Good Luck!! Happy Travels!!!

Bring your patience, LOTS of activities for a 2 year old VERY short attention span. Lots of snacks and drinks (yes, you can bring juice on board for a 2 year old--but check first). I would schedule the flights during the week as opposed to the weekend, you'll get more business type travellers (and a less packed airplane), plus you'll save money on the airfare. Even though your child is younger than 2, and theoretically qualifies as a lap infant, fork out the extra $$ and buy the child a seat, you can take your car seat on the plane and strap it in the seat, same as you would in the car. That also worked well for my children when they were little.

My daughter became walking greater while she became 2, and the only stroller we used because she grew to become 2 is her umbrella stroller. That element has seen all climate and that's extraordinarily good and thriving! She's 3 now and we nonetheless convey it, yet purely while i comprehend we would be out for greater desirable than 2 hours in case she gets drained like on the mall or out for the day. in case you rather need her to have a great cumbersome stroller, i might recommend procuring 2nd hand somewhat of paying over $a hundred on something you will no longer want for too long. She could love her stroller, yet there comes a time the place you will could desire to get her to stroll greater so she would be in a position to no longer place self assurance in a stroller. My nephew is 4 or maybe with the undeniable fact that he can walk, he gets whiny and asks to sit down down in his stroller because of the fact his mom consistently sat him in it to make outings much less annoying for her.

It can definitely be a nerve racking time... Bring lots of things to keep him busy... coloring books, snacks, small toys, more snacks, and PATIENCE. Other travellers should (for the most part) be understanding, and some may even help you out if you need it. It can be tough travelling with small children, but don't lose your patience.

take a late or night flight, maybe they will sleep....give a bendryl? Please remember that making the drinking motion pops our ears- kids don't know this- so give them a bottle of water to drink and the sucking motion will keep their ears open, Good Luck Hun!

Benadryl and then more benadryl