buy sword, what should I know?

My son wants to buy a sword. Any comments will be appreicated.

thanks

Favorite Answer

1) You want forged steel--if you can go to a renfair or something and get one from an actual blacksmith, that'd be best.

2) If he plans on using it, it has to be balanced right. You should be able to rest it on your finger next to the hilt and it stay level.

3) Follow any care instructions given (obvious). Make sure he keeps it dry and clean. Swords come with scabbards for a reason.

If he's liable to whack it off of something you want to look for one that has a "Full Tang" - that means the metal from the blade goes all the way to the end of the handle. If you get one that has a screw tang, or a "rat-tail" tang it'll break at the drop of a hat. You might also want to research the laws in your area about possesing and transporting said weapon. A good source of low priced swords (my husband shops their catolog) is BudK - I won't place a link, cuz I don't want to be accused of advertising, but I do recomend them if you want to google them....

• Jeff M

Depending on how old he is, you should choose a sword that can't hurt anyone at first(a wooden one perhaps). Then, if he demonstrates self control with it, he can graduate to a better one.

well if he is less than ten dont buy one but if u see that he is responsiblr and takes care of his stuff then u should reward him with the sword as a gift of congrats for being responsible and good that may teach him that not all the time things are gonna be for free but they have to earn them

let him but tell him her its not a toy. he has to use it for decoration or take fencing lessions. kids do stupid things i know my freind cut his brothers finger off with his fathers sword. nice sword btw.

you should know that sting pwns