is it cheaper to own a whaser and dryer or just go to the laundromat?

Favorite Answer

Going to the laundromat is expensive. If you have a family of four, I'll bet you spend at least $10.00 per week to do the wash (not including detergent, bleach, and softener). If that is the case, you will put over $520.00 per year in those machines, not to mention the gasoline for your automobile and the general aggravation.

You can easily buy a brand new washer and dryer set for just what you will spend in one year in the laundromat. You recoup your money in just one year and from then on, you will have an extra $520.00 per year to budget for something else.

Best advice ... buy a washer and dryer. You can actually get them very cheap at estate auctions and in the classified ads in your local newspaper. Our present washer and dryer were purchased for well under $100.00 at an estate auction and have worked perfectly for over 5 years.

Good luck with your decision.

• sglmom

To put it bluntly -- YES!!!! Especially if you are a single parent of two disabled children (now adults and out of the home), and had to do 4 to 6 loads of laundry a day to keep up with things needing to be washed. My washer and dryer lasted approximately 14 years -- so it was WELL WORTH the price I paid for them in NOT having to go to the Laundromat every other day and feed the eternal maw of the pay laundry.

Source(s): Single Parent -- even as a single right now -- having my own washing machine and dryer is STILL a bargain -- and I am glad I have a good pair. I saved up and purchased the ones with more options and a higher capacity (and that meant it even has water saver options) so yes, even counting my power uses as well as the water -- it still is a bargain overall.

It's cheaper and easier to own your own washer and dryer. It will cost at least $2 to $4 every time you wash clothes at the laundromat. Their equipment may not be clean or set up right and you have to lug your clothes to wash and dry them.

Depends on how much laundry you do. Average W/D combination mean price is about 1200-1500 US. To wash and dry 1 load at laundromat is $2-3. Therefore, if you do 2 loads a day it would pay for itself in about a year.

It is cheaper if you have a lot of laundry, minimum dry cleaning and don't live next door to the laundromat.

I have 2 girls, and I wear dress shirts to work and shorts and t-shirts as soon as I get home and with towels we are several loads every other day. I think my washer & dryer paid themselves off in the first year.

Cheaper to own a washer and dryer by much.

probably cheaper to have your own washer and dryer

if more than one person in family...OWN with out a doubt is much cheaper. If you have children you will save tons of money.

• motox

much cheaper to own than go to laundry mat. but nice place to meet people

I think so. Better than that it's so much more convenient. And it's a heck-of-alot cleaner than to keep going to one of those places.