Can you help me with ADHD child?

I have a ten year old daughter with ADHD and I am trying to get the school to allow her in content mastery, which is a smaller classroom she would go into to help her focus. So far, she is in the fifth grade, she is smart but struggles with the distractions around her. The school is giving me a hard time. Can someone please help me as I prepare to go through the ARD and IEP? She already has a 405 plan that really does not do anything. Any assistance would be great.

Favorite Answer

I am a teacher. Go into the meeting and be FIRM that you would like her tested PRONTO and that you are willing to hire a lawyer if they do not accomodate you. If you mention LAWYER to a school...they will jump through hoops for you. Next, when you do get your daughter into the environment that you feel is appropriate for her, then MONITOR it closely. Tell the school that you will be making visits regularly and that you are a concerned, caring parent that expects the school to produce results or they need to change the plan. Don't be bitchy, but be FIRM and let them know you are going to be coming into the classroom to observe and that you will be keeping a close eye on things. TRUST me, you WILL see results if you do this. If a school thinks you are a pushover parent, your child will fall through the cracks and the system. Best of luck to you.

As soon as we knew our child had "issues", we moved to a district where they would be treated properly.

Before the IEP make it clear that you want what you mentioned above. In the IEP keep driving that home and make sure they have given you what you wanted. Do not hesitate to contact your state congressman, since schools get a lot of state money.

hi,iam an adhd child,I am in high school now.I don`t take any thing now.but I do sports and go swimming alot.may be you should try sports.

There are tons of strategies to help at school listed at http://addadhd.suite101.com

Pay more attention to her with the heart....there's no such thing as ADHD.

put her on ridlin thats wat my friend jimmy is on and it seems to work just fine.