What is the motivation for “elite” Yahoo! Answers contributors? Why do they craft meaningful answers?

I’m curious about people who are Yahoo! Answers Level 4 and higher and get selected as best answer at least 20% of the time. Answering that many questions with that degree of cleverness, sincerity, and skill requires quite a bit of time. These people were using their time in other ways prior to Yahoo! Answers. Why do they devote their time and energy in this manner? Why do people care about points that don’t have much value outside of this community?

• Silva
    Favorite Answer

The simple answer is "because I enjoy doing it" it gets my mind off of my own problems and allows me to think about someone else's, or just answer silly questions if I want to. I probably spent more time reading and exercising before i found this addictive pastime.As for points, I don't think its the points, per se, that people covet, but just knowing that someone appreciated or was amused by my answer. I took the liberty to answer your question even tho I am not at 20% of best answers. I personally never think about comparing my answers to others or being"best".I just enjoy sharing my opinion, possibly helping people, and amusing myself!

Good question, as I'm getting closer to level 4, and won't get there until sometime this week. Maybe they're knowledgeable in the category or field the question was asked in, and have experience. Or they find the best references, other than their own personal experience, like the Internet that best suits the answer. Maybe they want to help others with research or homework questions, and have nothing else to do in their spare time. As for points, I have no idea.

I spend a lot of time on Yahoo! Answers. I am retired and too young to sit around and do nothing. I have asked a few questions and got good answers. I actually enjoy helping people solve their problems. I get a sense of accomplishment out of it. I am, hopefully, doing something useful with my free time.

Before Yahoo! Answers, I spent some time doing research on the Internet for friends and family membersrs. Now I usually tell the friend or family membe how to find what they are looking for and they do their own research.

There's no real way to help the world without some party giving money. Yahoo answers provides a place where people can help each other simply by taking what they know and using that to increase the amout of knowleage that others have.

People are bored... others just like to help.

I do this when I check my email... a few times a week. I also try to only answer questions I know the answer too.

Many people do this at work... back to the bored response.

Source(s): 8 year - truck mechanic

Because I don't accept your concept and am trying to help. Not for long anymore, will probably quit (or at least slow down) as soon as I reach 10,000 points

It frees my mind to think of other niches to conquer, plus you really get to see what makes people tick and what makes people ticked off.

maybe they're just smart and know the answers.

• i know, its way more fun to think up snide remarks instead