Which is more devastating to you?

A huricane or a tornado? Personally I've never been in neither situations but I hope I never will.

Favorite Answer

I spent 10 years doing claims adjusting. My bet is the both type of storms pack strong winds, but the hurricane is more often associated with flooding and downpours.

For instance, folks often say that fire/smoke damage is the worst. Not true in my experience, water damage is the worst - it tends to twist wood, delaminate many modern materials (made of saw dust and glue), creates mold and mildew with its attendance staining and health risks.

Also, tornado tends to have a much smaller footprint than a hurricane. Personally, the truth is most of us need to know about emergencies, where to go, having adequate supplies etc.

Michael

A tornado can be scarier becasuse you can't always predict them and get away, but a hurricane can destroy an entire coastline in more than one state, and several cities at one time. I know because Hurricane Rita squashed my town and the surrounding area about this time last year. Many people are still trying to fix things up a year later.

Plus hurricanes are also full or tornadoes.

Whichever one destroys your life is the most devastating. I've never been in a hurricane but I've lived through several tornadoes. There is no way to explain the sheer terror of being inside a structure with a tornado passing overhead.

Hurricanes. From the wind that rips your house apart even when you are over a hundred miles away from the coast to the floods to the hail. That and it can last for days and hit a wider area. Its like 5 tornados in one plus flooding raining and everything else. Ask the Katrina survivors what they think is worst.

Id say a hurricane just cause its more powerful. Ive never been in one but i think it would be a hurricane.

I have been in both situations so I would have to say hurricanes because the damage is more widespread.

Hurricane! I've been through RITA and it wasn't fun!

tornados move on dry land, thus more damaging.

Hurricane, more damage sometimes, mostly

Hurricane seems more scary...