Tia B asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

What guidelines or ethical practices would you propose for research?

Favorite Answer

Yep - always a touchy subject this.

All those animal rights people that attack labs where experiments are being conducted - they're sure pleased there is a drug for any illness they may get when they go sick - and what was it tested on?

Yep - always a touchy subject this.

I would offer that, in the current form, "scientific" research has is just about nailed, except for one thing: Honesty.

Were we to be true to the method, honest and unbiased, we would be light years ahead of the present time. Example:

The ape family and mankind - same material, incredibly similar appearance, genetically - Nearly Identical. Conclusion ? One is the ancestor of the other.

Anyone see the flaw (s) ? (from the Greek) - Every time it rains, there are clouds in the sky, therefore: every time there are clouds in the sky, it will rain.

Take the other side, for just one moment, once in a lifetime. If I were a "Creator," and was creating life forms, I'd use the materials at hand, right here, where I'm at, and there would be a large variety of forms made with the exact, same materials. In fact, if I came upon one model that worked, I'll bet I would try a few permutations on the same theme. Wouldn't you?

Or, don't we all know that, thanks to the Amazing Randy, because a thing can be replicated, doesn't necessarily mean the original and the replica were made the same way?

Source(s): Try a reading of the Milgram experiment(s) for clarification on why the overwhelming majority of persons will "go along" with "authority."
  • K

You need to consult specific university protocol. Every university has guidelines that researchers must abide by and address. Defining these depends on what ethical protocol you are referring to. Without additional information, I can only recommend that you consult the appropriate governing body where you are interested in doing research.