Quote Unquote - The Finger Gesture?

i understand that when you verbally say "quote unquote", you are stating what the source stated verbatim. but then, when people make this finger gesture (making this quotation marks in the air) it seems to mean something else. my friend said it is to emphasize certain words in your statement. I said... show more i understand that when you verbally say "quote unquote", you are stating what the source stated verbatim. but then, when people make this finger gesture (making this quotation marks in the air) it seems to mean something else.

my friend said it is to emphasize certain words in your statement. I said it's to show that you dont really mean that particular word in your sentence : for example - i think she is really "beautiful" means she is not.

can't find this anywhere in the net. can someone clarify this to me?
Update: my friend is a lawyer so i told him to stop using that gesture until we find out what it really means. otherwise, he might get into trouble : P