Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

how can a fluid be dry ? like dry wine or so?

Favorite Answer

it gives you a dry taste in your mouth, no other way to explain.

A dry wine is wine that has been fermented until all the natural sugar that was present in the grapes has been consumed. It therefore has the maximum amount of alcohol possible for the type of grapes used in making the wine. Recipes call for dry wines to avoid the sweetness a sweet or semisweet wine would add to the dish.

• Paul

dry is to describe wine that has little to no sweetness. Sweeter wines will be called 'sweet'. I think the back of my wine bottle has a chart that says very sweet, sweet, semi-dry, and dry to indicate the sweetness.

Dry is the opposite of sweet in this case.

• St N

If it wasn't that the question is another example of the idiosyncrasy of the English language, I would suggest you have had too many of your namesake. By the way, you might also have suggested dry beer just to throw people off.

"Dry" refers to the flavour of the liquid. Dry wine, for instance, is not sweet to the palette.

• Gwen

It doesn't mean lack of moisture. It is a description of the flavor of the wine that I don't really understand because I don't really like wine.

The name has to do with how sweet a taste it has.

• KT

it tastes as though it dries the tounge..not literally dry...

It is a figure of speech Einstein.