How do you other mom's out there keep a clean and organized home??

I have a 20 mo. old child, I'm in school, am a pianist and I run my own piano studio. I can NEVER seem to keep my house organized and clean as I'd like. I feel like I never have enough time to devote to cleaning. When I'm not in class or working, I try to spend quality time w/ my daughter, but I can't help but worry about how cluttered the house is!! I don't want to spend all of my time cleaning, because I know my daughter will be grown before I know it. I've thought about trying to "budget" my time, but I just feel like I should be there for my daughter 24-7 (honestly, I don't think housework is as important as she is, but I feel like a lazy wife/mother if my house is not clean!) My hubby works night shift, so he's not much help when it comes to housework. Any suggestions??

• curls
    Favorite Answer

I can say honestly that I haven't met a mother of young kids that thinks their house is clean enough or organized enough. I look at my sisters house and think wow how does she do it, she tells me she just can't get it together to get enough done, one of my friends says my house is so organized and clean, I wonder if she is crazy.

I agree with flylady.com that someone above me mentioned, I have got some great tips off of there. But I don't think with small kids in the house that you will ever feel completely like you are doing enough, nor will the person you think is completely organized and neat think they are neat enough either.

Clean is in the eye of the beholder. No, really, it is. Right now my beds aren't made and there's a few dishes in the sink. Is my house dirty? well, five people live here: Me, my husband, my 6 year old son, my month old daughter, and my roommate. I do all the cleaning, because I'm home on maternity leave. If I were going to pick up everything as it happened, I would never sit down, so, I clean during the day, during baby's naptimes, and when I'm done, I'm done. any new messes can wait till tomorrow. When I was working, and what I will probably do when I go back to work, is devote one of my 2 days off to cleaning house. otherwise, I pick up what I can as I go along, but if everyone else doesn't, I catch it during that one day a week. this usually means my house is spotless for about 1 day, mostly clean for 2 days after that, and the next 3 days till cleaning day it looks, well, lived in. Is that bad? I don't think so. After all, it IS lived in. I'd rather spend my time living my life than cleaning my house. Don't stress. As long as it's safe for your child and not actually a health hazard you're fine. (I just came from babysitting for a friend; If you think it's bad now, you should see what it's like when there are two kids old enough to run around.)

I have 3 kids, I work part time nights and my hubby works 60-70 hrs per week! My house was UPSIDE DOWN!!! Toys everywhere, dishes piled up, laundry everywhere! Don't be ashamed, it happens to the best of us! I too spend 24-7 with my children and have done so for 11 years! That is why my house is the way it is! Then I realized it is not a good environment for my children and i take 15 - 20 minutes per day to clean and organize. I learned my tactics from this lady!! I have been a part of this group for a year now! She is my savior!!! My house is now clutter free!! And even my children and hubby do their 15 minute clean up everyday! 5 people doing there 15 minutes = 1 hr. 15 minutes of cleaning and organizing! Everyone has at least 15 minutes no matter who you are! Click on this link:

http://www.flylady.com/

Good luck and remember babysteps!

Source(s): Me<---- A Flybaby!
  • morris

I am not a woman but I feel I can answer this just like anyone else. My wife an I raised 3 children and also had a day care service running in our home. You want to talk about a house that is in disarray. My point is, don't worry about it, do the best you can with what time that you have. Try this on for size, everyday give yourself 15 minutes to concentrate on one part of the house, set a timer and then go, the minute the 15 minutes are up, stop.

You will be amazed at how much you can get accomplished in that 15 minute period. Try it it works. Just do that everyday and it will work wonders.

As long as your house isn't filthy with piles of dirty laundry, and dishes and what not everywhere, then don't worry about it. No one can wear as many hats as you do and still be Martha Stewart. I'm a full time student and mom and I can't find time to get my house as clean as I'd like it. Of course it doesn't help when the other people in my house can't seem to lift a finger. *Ahem* fiance and fiance's sister...... Anyway, I do what I can when I can. It's usually on the weekends, or after I put the kids to bed. Then it's easier to get the laundry and the dishes done. I've taught my kids that as soon as they're done with something, put it away before you get something else out. That way, I don't have their clutter everywhere as well. Most people understand that you're a busy mom and you can't do everything. Besides, who cares what other people think? I'm sure their houses are no "cleaner". =)

I agree with the above answer about the housekeeper. But I would only hire if you have a little extra money to spare, and/or only have her come once a week. After the house gets clean, just pick up after yourselves right away instead of leaving it for later. At night I make sure my son's toys are all put away. (Buckets help!) I try to at least put all my dishes in the sink for the night. My son will be 28 months on the 5th. I've been trying to have him help me pick up his toys. He at least knows that his toys go in his room in one of his buckets. I only work part-time and the only other thing that keeps me busy is reading and my crafts. So I have time, but it still never is fully done. But just hearing your schedule, it sounds really busy. Or just pick a day of the week that you can devote a few hours to just cleaning. I try to have my son only play with his toys in his room, so that somewhat helps keep my living room clean. Because I don't go to sleep till way late, I do my laundry at night, and dishes. But I wouldn't suggest that if you get up early. Hope some of this helps.

First off, expect your husband to help. He may work nights but he can throw in a load of laundry or run the vacuum and still get his rest.

To deal with clutter it's best to prevent it. Don't offer your toddler 1000 toys to play with. Store away the majority of her stuff and let her have fun with her favorites and have her help put them away.

Another thing I like to do is play some upbeat music for 20 minutes and tackle a big mess, like the kitchen.

Good luck. :)

keep it simple - dont be afraid to get rid of stuff- less "stuff" means less stuff to keep up with, dust, clean etc. schedule times to do specific tasks, for example- I do all of my laundry on Wednesdays and I dont stress about it the rest of the week- prioritze what things need to be done on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Focus on a different room each day and make a habit of putting things away right way- don't put something down to take care of it later, later will never come and then you have clutter. If you can afford it hire a housekeeper to come in once every two weeks and clean your floors or oyur bathroom or the one or two most time consuming or dreaded jobs. In the in between times , maintenance is the most important thing- take the two or three extra minutes to wash that bowl and put it away as soon as you finish eating out of it, to put that book back on the bookshelf instead of on the vcounter or nightstand. Sort the mail right aweay and throw away the junk before it even makes it into the house. Some of thes things oyu can do with your child- she is almost two and very capable of putting away her toys. make tidying up a game with her- your attentions dont have to be off of her in order to tidy up. My daughters were helping me put away their own laundry at two- it took a little longer than if I would have done it myself but it was time sepnt together and it got done.

The biggest help will be to simplify simplify simplify- throw stuff out- don't be a pack rat and keep it simple with oyur daughters toys and things- sont encourage her to be a pack rat- she does not need every single toy they make for her age group

well what my mother did was have more children and make us clean haha, but that doesnt usually work. now i know how important it is for time with your children, but maybe you two could do the cleaning together, you could also try to keep things orderly by always putting things out when you need them, and putting them away as soon as you're done. now i know that seems pretty silly and maybe alittle to much to do, but believe me, when you cant keep your house organized, the best way it to stop it in its tracks! you could always try to get boxes and cubbies to store things in (ie: dirty laundry, toys, bills, ect) i wish you the best of luck on this, and hey, if you think you cant do this, you could always spend the money and get a maid :)

hire a cleaning lady? or when you child's napping start cleaning or if your studying then take 30 mins out of your time and places like walmart have awesome organizing closet stuff and items which you can use to stop the clutter