? asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

I want to buy a new computer, what kind?

Also I looking for an affordable one like under $400, and should I try a used one?

Favorite Answer

Used one may come with problems...many problems in fact.

I would try going to Best Buy (the store preferbly, not online) Tell the sales associate what you are looking for, what price range, and what you will be using the computer for. At Best Buy it will give you good prices and many rebates and offers. Plus they will find you the perfect one to fit your needs.

Well I custom build computers, but if your looking for a faily cheap one, Dell has the best deals. They're good computers and easy to upgrade if you come across a wider budget and decide something like "Man, I would love to have more memory" or "If this had better sound, that would be great." All in all, Dell is the best buy for your money, but I don't think you'll find something under $400.

As far as used computers, keep in mind that 80% of the time, you'll simply be buying someone else's problem. Now if you can find a good computer (lots of memory and whatnot) for cheap, make sure it has the Windows Install disks and any other software the computer needs, because if you run into a problem, or if you simply want to start from scratch and make the computer as good as new, then you will need those disks to reformat the computer.

At that price you are restricting yourself to a PC or Windows type computer however Apple Mac has a Mini-Mac that is about $500 and has a great easy operating system and highly protected from the Internet problems out there. You can also consider a used machine but I would get a new one for the price difference isn't that much these days.

The best time to buy a new computer is coming up also. The day after Thanksgiving will present you with the best deals. Forget Best Buy or CompUSA or Walmart unless you get there the day before and wait in line. Best bet is try to be the first one through the door at your Office Max, Office Depot or Staples store who also have great deals on the Day after Thanksgiving. My advice is get the Thanksgiving day ad's and pick your favorite and best deal out. Try and get one that has a minimum of 1GB of RAM memory and at least 80GB hard drive or more as a minimum.

Good Luck

u can get a good computer with an lcd screen from best by or something for a lil under 400... un shoulkd consider getting a laptop

No offense but for $400 it will almost have to used

Source(s): ,,!,,

you can build a decent amd 64 system for 400, but i'm guessing you don't know how to do that, try craigslist for a used system. what you can get for $400

amd 64 3000/3200+ s939

1gb ram

200gb hard drive

and a built in video card.

rough estimate.

more than the 400 you want to spend but i have been very pleased with my Medion Composer 5200 from Best Buy. I have had the Hp Pav. also...

you should check now at best buy, circuit city or microcenter.

They are having back to school sales now and you can get laptops on sale. Do not get an e-machine. I personally think they are not worth the hassle.

I wouldn't buy a used one, I would buy a dell, they are the best. They are on sale, if you watch. Last years model is just as good.That's usually what's on sale.

Get a Dell PC; get a 20" flat screen, they are the best.