Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

Why is the gas tank on the right in some cars and the left on others?

Favorite Answer

because it wouldn't be any fun to have them all on the same side :P

i don't think of there's a definite reason. some engineer might want a definite length interior the exhaust equipment and the direction be certain the area of the muffler wherein the gas tank filler tube could be terrific be far off from it.

It is a cruel joke played on us by the "engineers" at the car manufacturers! If yours is on the right side, you have to fight the traffic flow to the pumps, and generally back in behind somebody filling, - so you can get to pump before somebody comes in ahead of you from the "normal flow side"

I have "2 rights", and one "left". Often forget which way the one I am driving goes, and find out that I have to go around "the block" agin to get pump on right side of the car! (meaning correct side, since left is sometimes "right")

Source(s): 2 MOPAR, one Ford

I asked myself that question yesterday. All cars are designed differently and there's no universal side of the car manufactures have to put gas tanks on.

so not everyone is pulling up to the same gas pump at the gas stations

Good question.... I'd think its where the car is made.... but I'm sure there is a better answer than that.

I don't know, but I wish mine was on the right so I could go in the shorter line

lol dont know but i had the one in my caddy directly in the back under the plate..best positon you can go either way

good question i always wondered the same thing