can my apt. landlord charge me for remainder of contract.if i move before contract ends?

i am a hurricane rita victim, i lost my home which was paid for . i found a house big enough for my whole family.less rent than what i pay for apt.my landlord tell me i can;t move before my lease is up without paying for remaining three months, plus reletting fee can they do this.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Rvn
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I believe they can, because of the contract. It would be much more humane if they would not. Perhaps if they are being especially difficult with you, you can take your case to the local media. That would generate sympathy for your situation and would apply some pressure to the landlord to ignore the legalities of the contract and have some humanity for your situation.

• 1 decade ago

when you sign a lease for example a year lease you have to give three months notice to vacate plus continue to pay rent until either the full year is up or the apartment is rerented which ever comes first

• 1 decade ago

Unfortunately yes they can. Try to go online see if there is a number you can call regarding people that were hurricaine victims. Call your local tv station..sometimes they have trouble shooting and can help with these types of problems. Most courts will tell you it is your responsibility to read the fine print when you sign. Sounds unfair in your case.

• Lea
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes, he can.. Perhaps you can sublet it.. Find someone else to rent it so your landlord is not out any money. He would probably agree to that.. Place your ad and start advertising right away. That way the new renter can fulful your remaining 3 months and your landlord will not be out any money

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, you are liable to pay the full lease. failure to do so can result in you paying anyway by court order (garnish your wages) plus it will mess up your credit. Stick it out as it is not worth the trouble you'll have if you do move.

Source(s): Paralegal.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes they can. You signed a lease which is a legal contract. They might be willing to negotiate with you and let you make a buyout payment.

• 1 decade ago

If you signed a lease then you are bound by it, so you do legally need to go by the lease you signed.

• 4 years ago

definite she could desire to as you're in breach of the unique settlement and there'll be a clause in there! Why do not you grant to pay her the money for the unpaid expenses and see what she says to that! that could be all she needs! it may artwork out greater low-value interior the long-term - and below dropping your deposit!

• 1 decade ago

If you signed a contract agreeing to all these terms already, your only hope is gettin professional legal advice.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes he can in a court of law

Source(s): federal landlord rights
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.