?
? asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

why are people from the south sooooo much friendlier?

I have always noticed that people from the southern states. ie: tennessee,kentucky,texas,alabama,etc. are way friendlier. Why isn't everyone that friendly? I was in total shock. (the good kind of shock) I almost didn't know how to react when I was on vacation. My friends that I visited were laughing at me the whole time. I WANNA MOVE TO THE SOUTH!!! LOL

Favorite Answer

i have lived in the south most of my life; i moved to new york and have recently moved to ohio. when we moved to new york, me and my family were shocked by the difference. Growing up in south carolina, everyone was so friendly! we would say hi to random people on the streets, and they would smile and wave back. Then we moved to long island, new york. WOW, what a change. a lot of the people were jerks, especially when they found out i was a southerner. I think it's because people from the south are a lot more laid back, they're not in a rush all the time; it's just how we were brought up. I also think it's because a lot of it's rural. Where i live now, in ohio, the town is mostly rural, and people are so friendly.

To everyone that's putting mean and queer answers: dudes there wasn't anything in this question that was saying that the south was BETTER than the north, she just said that they're friendlier. i know that there are a lot of friendly people in the north, but still, the southerners are really caring and friendly (about 95% are Christian or some kind of religion, hence being in the bible belt) i also know that there are a lot of rude people in the south. i mean there is a balance everywhere, but i think it's because a lot of new yorkers and a lot of people in the north-east are stuck up and rich (not all of them but a lot of them are).

so there.

I'm not sure. I guess it's the way we are brought up :). I work at a hotel. you would be surprised how much i hear that. They think we are friendly and love the Tennessee accent. Believe me, we have our jerks, too, Not everyone is so friendly!

COUNT TO ZERO, as we have no jobs? some of us have 2 or 3 jobs and still manage to be friendly. being friendly is one of the most important parts of my jobs, and i actually love my jobs. It's simply because we appreciate one another more. It's hard to make it without others support.

• Randy

I've had the opportunity to live in most parts of the country and I have found that you get what you put into relationships. People are friendly everywhere.

I live in Louisiana myself, born and raised here. From my own experience, it was a basic southern upbringing. Enjoy life and appreciate the simple things(take some time to watch a sunset or something). Good friends, good food, good music, and good whiskey will make anyone friendly.

Don't know why it is, but it seems that way to me too.

I cannot resist, and I am not all meaning to be mean, but Emma Megan, are you sure you and your friends are friendly by Southern standards ??? Or are you friendly by Northeastern standards????

If you visit Texas, will we embrace you or will we run you off???

What a day :)

You might change your mind after you are there a while . You Damn Yankee !!!!!!!! lol ,...

I am from Pennsylvania , move to Texas caught all kinds of hell cause I was a Yankee , and recently moved to Georgia . Its OK here , but its not what I expected

I use to live south

Sweetie, thank you,I'm from Alabama. To answer your question, why we seem to be so friendly, I believe it goes back to our struggle with poverty. People tend to care about their neighbors, and families, and always, helping, each other. Poverty, and struggles, tend to bring folks together. I would welcome you with a tall glass of sweat, and some home made cornbread, if you decide to become a, transplanted, southern girl!...........:)

I don't really believe that....I guess it depends on which side of the North you live....at least in my experience...everyone seemed the same except the accents

Cause they're just simple country folk with less things to be stressed out about. I live in NYC... I have sh*t to do and so do the other 10 million people living here.

Source(s): Living in NYC for my whole life.