Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 1 decade ago

Are Chicago winters colder/snowier than New York, Philadelphia, or Boston?

Favorite Answer

I grew up in NYC and lived in Chicago for 6 years so I do know something about the subject. Chicago winters are lot colder than than the by-the Atlantic winters. The snow amounts[not verified] seem to be about equal. There's something called lake effect snow . Simply put; cold wind coming across the Great Lakes picks up moisture, creates snow and deposits it on the leeward side. Since the prevailing wind is usually out of the west or northwest and Chicago is on the western shore of the Lake it gets less snow than say South Bend IN which is an hour ESE of Chicago. Should the wind direction change , Chicago will of course get nailed.

• kris

Boston's winters aren't too different from New York's winters. From what I hear about Chicago winters, they're much worse (colder and snowier) than Boston winters.

Source(s): Lived in southern New England most of my life.

i believe chicagos winter are more colder because you get the wind from canada coming straight down and fresh water gets colder than salt water . the east coast has the atlantic ocean which keeps temperatures more moderate.

Grew up 60 miles south of Chi-town. Been to East Philly. I'd say Philly had more snow, but Chicago is still F-n-Cold!!!

Probably, I wouldn't know but I do live in New York City and I can say, we have funny weather here. It's freezing in the winter (like 2 degree weather) and sweltering in the summer (in the 90s to below 110).

Chicago does not get as much snow but we make up for it with the wind

The cold is about even, but Chicago probley on average doesn't get as much snow.

New York is balmy in comparison to Chicago

• zaltz

while i think of of "Chicago type Politics" I on the instant think of of a point of unethical and criminal interest designed to get elected or getting your guy elected in any respect value whilst destroying your opponent and different alongside the way. that could desire to contain voter fraud, bribery, mendacity, stealing, rigging elections, grimy electioneering tricks, spying, bugging, cronyism with the unions and accessible mafia involvement, political favors, and the thirst for sheer skill.

They don't call it the windy city for nothing!

Yes, maybe not Boston.