Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

When must I be required or not required to give my SS.#?

If I buy a new vehicle...is my SSN required so they can establish my credit or for any reason? I've been told never to give out my SSN...but to give my DL. # instead...or if I must...just the last 4 digits of my SSN....Can you tell me what I'm legally right to do or not to do?

Favorite Answer

what you are saying is somewhat true, depending on who is asking for it, like when cashing a check or other things, but if you are applying for a car loan or credit card, they have to have it for credit check...........

These companies have strict policies regarding the use of your SS#. They have to have it for credit purposes, but that's it. Never put your SS# on a check. I always use my driver's license number and I put my phone number on it if I'm cashing it.

They have to have your social security # to check your credit.