Jamie L asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Sometimes i wounder?

Is it possible for someone to be half smart and half mentally challenged ( i dont want to use the word retarded) this is a serious question?

Favorite Answer

Yea it's called ( Idio sevant )

I just spelled it the way it sounded not the correct spelling !!!

But these people have trouble tieing their shoes and yet can play concert piano, or memorize the dictionary, etc

The movie RAINMAN is a great example of it.

Jerry

• MBK

Yes - look up "idiot savant" in your dictionary and/or on the web. Someone who is brilliant in one shaft of knowledge but otherwise "with learning difficulties" (the fashionable term for 'retarded').

Also there is "Williams Syndrome" (I thimk that's the name) - people who are top rate or at least normal at languages and other social and communication skills and hopeless at maths. Why anyone thinks that's a problem?????? Why does our society have an obsession with maths?

Certain developmental disorders are indicated by what is called saw tooth skills, this means you might be perfectly typical in one area, and have huge deficiencies in another. Autism is a good example of this, where a child can know a great deal about science, and be able to use and apply it, but not be able to read social cues.

• peg

Sounds like you are describing about a third of the worlds population. Not to sound like I'm dumping on people but think about it. If we were all smart then why do we make mistakes...just a thought and I do include myself in this. I guess when it comes down do it, we're neither smart or dumb, we just are.

well, you could answer your own question if you knew how to spell Wonder!

I think so. We all have gifts and graces.

Maybe you should start with yourself....Wonder****