Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 1 decade ago

My new biology teacher said I'm a "typical Jewish looking girl". Is he wrong or am I to be upset?

Yesterday in my new bio class we were taking about melanocytes and skin color and races and migration, etc. So my new teacher (who I think is Jewish, but I'm not sure) points me out in class & says I have "a typical Jewish phenotype." I don't know what this mean aside from the fact that I have dark eyes & hair (I am 1/2 from Italian descent), although my hair is pretty straight & my skin is pretty fair.

I have nothing against Jewish people but somehow I felt really embarrassed & everyone looked at me.

Am I wrong or was he wrong to say this? Thank you. btw I was raised Catholic & I'm an atheist, just fyi.

Favorite Answer

OMG I'd be pissed! Did you tell him to get his facts straight before he opened his ignorant, fat mouth? But honestly, I have also confused Italian features for Jewish ones. It's the nose and eyes. But I being slightly more discreet, I would have asked first; or kept my ignorant , fat mouth shut !

You should look at why this made you so angry.

usually when we get angry in a case like that, it's because we don't like being seen as something we don't want to be. I am a Jew and grew up around a lot of other Jews. There is no question that there are a set of features that are associated with Jews and that these features are shared by others of other racial decent as well.

Being Jewish is not just being of a certain religion. It is also a description of a race and while there are members of the Jewish faith who do not belong to the race, that doesn't mean it isn't one. I am often mistaken for french or Italian. Because I look like the french and Italian people the folks in my area know. They wouldn't know a Jew if they were talking to one because they are not familiar with Jews.

So what if your teacher said you fit a certain phenotype. Are you afraid people will treat you differently now? That is a scary thing.

it may have been insensitive of your teacher to single you out, but that is all he or she did wrong. If you think this person is Jewish then take it as a compliment.

I understand the point your teacher was making - if he was Jewish, maybe he thought you were too - but it was still totally inappropriate to explain phenotypes using a race. He certainly wouldn't have singled out a black student like that! A typical Jewish phenotype is fair or pale skin, very dark hair (straight or curly), a small build, and sometimes a hooked nose (in which the bridge is rounded, instead of straight - I'll post a picture below of it). However, it isn't a bad thing - it just means, basically, that you have features similar to some Jews. Other races do as well - anyone pale-skinned and dark-haired, for starters! And for the record, I'm a full-blooded Jew, and look Asian! Your teacher, regardless of his religion, shouldn't have made assumptions. You should remind him that Jews are actually quite diverse and while there is a stereotype of a Jewish look, many Jews don't have it - especially due to biracial parents, like mine! And remember for yourself - it's not a bad thing!

http://www.celebrityplasticpics.com/grey.htm

Approach him after class or during office hours, and tell him that you did not appreciate being singled out during class. Tell him it made you quite uncomfortable, and you would appreciate it not happening again. I'm sure he'll be apologetic, and I sincerely doubt he was trying to offend you. It was likely he simply was trying to find an example. He could have used a red haired girl with a fair complexion, as an example of a "typical Irish girl." But, instead he chose to single you out. Perhaps he didn't realize how insensitive he was being. Either way, I'm sure an apology will be offered, accept it, and as long as there are no recurring events, let it go.

Let it go. He brough it up in a relevant situation. Quit conforming to the pussification that's been happening in America over the last 20 years. If he said you look Jewish(and you are), then you have no reason to be offended. If he had said you looked like a ki.ke, that's when you bring it to your parent's attention. If a teacher can't point out examples as they're talking about something, then they've lost most of their lecture's effectiveness. You going to the principal over this would be equivalent to a student who got caught sleeping and ridiculed by the teacher going to the principal because he was offended the teacher called him a "lazyboy".

OK, so what is a girl? OK, most of them have some kind of curves- some large, some small, some just right.

A girl has hair, nose, eyes, and some kind of skin. Once again, your'e human.

You could really p.iss'em off and asked if he's a Nazi and then have him give you a desciption- now that'd scare the peewaddles out of him

You should be very upset that he stereotyped you in front of your class like that. And you should tell him how you feel. And if he still doesn't respect you then you should go to the principal, talk to your parents, or do whatever else is necessary. And another thing in schools now days there is a fine line in what you can and can't say about religion. You may want to act like an adult and speak with him on this subject and let him know how you feel.

Don't make a big deal out of it. I am from Italy and a lot of people keep telling me that I look Russian or Polish. In one on my classes in college they nicknamed me "the Russian". I got a kick out of it. It's really not a biggy. Plus Jewish girls are very pretty and sultry looking so you should take it as a compliment and laugh it off!

I am Jewish, though not religious at all. The teacher must not be to smart as "Jewish" is a religion, not a race. My family is from eastern Europe and I look it. There are many Jews from Spanish descent who look very dark skinned and Mediterranean. Jews who are Falashian, from Ethiopia, are black. Jews from the middle east look different. So, what your teacher may have wanted to say is you have a certain look about you, that I am sure is very pretty, but perhaps if you have a Jewish sounding last name, the teacher jumped to conclusions. You should correct the teacher and ask the teacher how you could look "religious." Maybe your teacher has been dissecting too many frogs in Biology :-)

I think the teacher was just making an observation to demonstrate how phenotypes work. It was definitely a mistake on his/her part but probably innocent. We shouldn't be so quick to call foul. We're all just people and we make (stupid) mistakes. You should let him/her know how it bothered you. Maybe the teacher will learn something from you!

• London

Looks like your teachers is a strange man. That comment is not necessarily offensive, but it IS stereotypical and he should not be saying these things in class. Tell him he's got a typical phenotype of an a-ss.