I have an old house fromthe 20's. Are the cloth wires for the electrical dangerous?

Most of the electric has been replaced, but I am putting in a ceiling fan (where the light was) in a room that still has the original cloth wires. Neither the rubber insulation nor the wires themselves seem brittle, but should I be worried? Should I replace them?

Favorite Answer

Yes you should replace them, do to new coding regulations if there was a fire and they found any cloth covered wires that are not up to code, they could deny an insurance claim, it just is not worth it. There is probably more hidden within the home, you may want to get in the attic and check what is up there and replace as much as you can, the risk is just too high to leave them.

If it were me i would replace the wire PLUS I would replace the junction box that the ceiling fan is going to be hooked up to.back in the 20's...who woulda known that a 20lb ceiling fan would take its place.

If it were me I would replace the old wire up to the switch at least. Good sleep is a good thing and old wires makes for bad sleeping.

With glasses I have 20/10 vision, without glasses I have 20/100 vision in one eye and 20/70 in the other.

i would think yes they are dangerous and not up to code do you think you can replace them yourself ? i think a electrician needs to be called out. I'm not an expert but you need to use common sense your family's safety is important.

replace them

when in doubt, throw it out.....when it comes to electric, if you have to ask, replace them

• duc602

as long as theyre not touching anything id leave it alone, or if you have the funds rewire it.

Yes, consider it a fire hazard!!!! REPLACE IT TODAY!!!

yes check it out ! better to be safe than sorry.