clorenda23 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Do cats know there cats?

Favorite Answer

yes, your cat (or your dog) knows that it is a cat. When it "acts human" it is mimicking you or repeating behaviour it has either seen you do or that has recieved reward (treats, attention etc) in the past.

You pet never thinks it is human. It thinks you are a cat or a dog. You are a FUNNY looking cat or dog, but not everyone can be as beautiful as he or she is.

I think it depends on the people that the cat lives with, my cat,he thinks he's a person. He doesn't know he's a cat at all. I talk to him and he meows back at me like I'm suppose to know what he's talking about. He's special, and he knows it!

they usually do, thanks to a behavioural phenomenon called imprinting. any animal (including humans) is sensitive to that for a certain period during infancy, straight after birth for species that flee the nest, later for species that stay with the mother for longer. imprinting means that the animal will immediately form a bond with the first thing presented to it during the sensitive period and conclude that itself is a member of whichever species that thing is, too. as a cat would most likely be with its mother during the sensitive period, it would be imprinted by that experience and therefore "know" (not intellectually but by instinct) that it's a cat. if, however, an animal is brought up by other means, for instance a cat brought up by a dog or an ape brought up by people it can happen that this cat or this ape will consider themselves a dog or a human being. this happens if the change in circumstances happened during the sensitive period. so, yes, cats know they are cats, but they are not consciously aware of it, and when something goes wrong during their infancy they might end up not knowing it.

They know they are special, thats good enough for my cat.

Sure they do, cats rule your house because they know they can. You don't see dogs trying to do that do you, they're too busy trying to please you all the time.

Not mine, she thinks she owns this place and lets me live here.

She is spoiled rotten and I wouldn't have it any other way.

She was abused before I got her, so she needs all of that extra attention and lovin'.

my cats sure as hell don't.....they think they're humans who run the place...atleast they got one thing right...they do run the place haha

I asked my dog and got the impression she couldn';t care less

Nor do I.

• Sydney

I think some think they're humans

I don't think so....They know they exist as a certain being,but they don't know exactly what they are.