What are some interesting topics for writing?

For English Language students.

• Lilah
    Favorite Answer

Use artwork as a prompt to write. Show a picture that has something going on...some type of interaction between people. Or even just a portrait. Have the students write a story about that person, or what the people are doing in the picture. Discuss emotion, facial features, clothes, gestures, and overall expression. Discuss the mood of the picture. Is it happy, sad, or just calm? I've had some of my art students do this and they love it AND I get some great stories out of it.

Almost anything but "What I did on my Summer Holidays" :-)

Seriously, interesting topics for English Language students could involve explaining about their culture, and how it differs from the English culture. They could talk about why they want to learn Engish and what they plan to do once they have a good grasp of it.

Whoops! Are you talking about ESL students or just regular students who are studying Language and Literature in middle school?

If that's the case, ask them if they have any opinions on what is happening in the world today. Ask them about the prospects of an oil-free world -- what kind of cars would they drive? How would they heat their homes? What would be alternate sources of energy?

Ask them to imagine what it would be like to teach the new kids that just started school this year. What would be the most important thing to teach them? What would be the first thing to teach them?

Ask them anything that will stretch their mind beyond Paris Hilton and the fact that seemingly, every young girl today wants to be a TV 'star' but other than that, has no aspiration to do anything remotely challenging.

And good luck!

No matter gender or age, it is best to assign topics which students can relate to, have had first had experience with such as an important event in their life, a special or important person, the happiest moment, the greatest holiday, the greatesst present, the most exicitng trip, a new thing they learned this summer, a new person in their life, the sacariest moment, etc.

Ask your students to write about their aspirations in life...life in general can be pretty interesting. Music is always a good topic.

Sciences, History...

I have always been interested in Sand Sculpting. But I guess not everyone is. It is a really cool sport.

the best are those which are related to the theme or the topic they are learning.

• jarm

politics and religion! hehe heh heh

maybe too interesting ... how about people pick particular countries to study, or animals, or historical figures.

Communism.

Or

The Failure of Democracy.

how was your summer? or write about a custom that you like more.