What do you think about HAITI( The country, it's people, culture, etc.)???

Favorite Answer

my husband is haitian and all of his family is still living there, he travels periodically. we were all going to go as a family this past march but the country was in turmoil as it usually is so myself and our son stayed home. just last month my brother in law (who is canadian) was kidnapped there and they demanded $200,000 american dollars or they would kill him, he was let go for 20,000. he was taken by the haitian people. i have asked my husband why he thinks it is in such bad shape and he said because the , so called military and the police force are all crooked they enforce whatever they feel like it. It's really a shame when you think that the other half of the island is thriving, i guess the haitian people as a whole would have to make some BIG changes to make turn the country around.

I think the country is in a sad state of affairs with all the corruption and it's so bad I have never been there to visit (my husband is Haitian and moved here at 17yrs old). It's a shame because his immediate family is here but the vast majority of his family is there and we would like to take our daughter to meet her family but it's just not a good idea. I can't make any generalizations about the people because I only know his family. His siblings are very nice to me and our daughter. His parents took some serious winning over (I still have nothing to say to his father) and I think it's because my husband married an American. As for the culture, I LOOOVE griot and duri avec legume (if I am spelling it correctly), and my husband and I are always looking for Haitian art. My daughter is learning Kreyol and French and at 3yrs old is quite good at speaking both languages and English. I think Kreyol is so different and I love to hear it spoken, as long as it's not coming from me...I sound horrible! :)

I think that my sisters and brothers in Haiti are about as doomed as my sisters and brothers here in the United States...so much war, corruption, and poverty..its saddens me...My ex is from Haiti, and he said he never wants to go back there.

Cuba - the main alluring united states of america out of all. different than that i'm no longer allowed there, stupid American coverage... properly we did supply them their independence and that they thanked us with the help of taking on and nationalizing all of our businesses there, yet i do no longer care when you consider that stuff surpassed off previously i became into born.

not even a nice place to visit

it's strife torn

high crime

due to high unemployment

i feel for the good people stuck in such a nation

I've never been there.