Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Whats the point of going to church when people dont use it properly?

I mean like I see people there sleeping, socializing about non religious things, and not paying attention.

Favorite Answer

because there are normal people that just go to church and worship while others are just threre because they want to look good.

I go for my own reasons, and don't worry about the reasons others are there. Though I try, I've probably been guilty of all those things at one time or another. But they are there for different reasons I imagine. Maybe it's just a habit, maybe they didn't get a good night's sleep the night before, maybe they have an attention disorder and their mind wanders easily without meaning to. (My son has often looked like he wasn't paying a bit of attention, but he could tell me something that was said in the sermon weeks later.) The point of being there is to worship God along with other people who believe as we do, but if someone occasionally isn't 100% "there", it isn't for us to judge the reasons.

Church is often a refuge from the cares of the world...

Being at peace can easily make me look as if I am sleeping.. the Holy Spirit still talks to me of things totally unrelated to what is being talked about in Church...

Socializing can be a problem sometimes inside the Chapel area, but outside of it I see no harm in finding out how everyone is doing and how their life has been since I saw them last...

I pay attention.. hmmm.. even when I sleep.

Source(s): I wondered why the frisbee kept getting larger and larger... and then it hit me!!

The point of going to church is fellowship with like minded people and to hear the word of God.However, the way it is used now is a disgrace and an abomination. People go to see who is wearing what kind of clothes, pass along gossip from who did what Saturday night, etc. I am a Christian and I prefer to spend my time at home studying the bible for myself , praying for enlightenment, and praising him for my many blessings. I read the bible to my children and we discuss it and debate what the meaning is behind the passages. I want my children to be religious, but I want them to use their brains to open up the meaning of God's word for themselves instead of having to send them to a church where they may be indoctrinated with ideas contrary to what I think are correct.

Whats the point of being religious if you are going to church to notice what other people are doing and judging them because their habits annoy you instead of worshiping or communing with your Deity..

• All kinds of people go to church. Look out for the beam in your own eye, not the mote in others!

I would guess it is so you can worship your god. At least that would seem to be the best reason. There are probably many reason people go. For instance you could go so you can complain about why other people go. Or so you can complain about what they do when they are there.

As your first responder mentioned, some go to worship, others are just getting their time in. The real question is why do you go? (If you go at all.)

Church is not meant to be used at all. It is meant to be a gathering place for fellow believers to congregate!!!

some people actually go to worship,the ones you mentioned are putting in the timecard