Why is the 8x8 inch glass pan not recommended when using brownie mix?

The box says you can use a metal or a glass pan, but if using an 8x8 inch pan, glass is not recommended. It doesn't say WHY it is not recommended, and that's a pet peeve of mine. What am I, a robot who will mindlessly follow instructions without knowing the reason behind them?

I love to bake brownies with my 8x8 glass pan in my toaster oven, and they seem to come out fine.

• kksay
    Favorite Answer

Glass cooks things hotter and it is recommended to set your oven 25 degrees cooler than if you were using a metal pan so you will have the same outcome. I always use glass pans to bake in and have never had a problem. I actually like the product better in glass. Good for you to not just mindlessly following instructions without knowing the reason behind them. Send and e-mail to the company with this question. You'd be surprised at the response you'll get. Yay brownies!

i don't think that its about the glass but rather about heat distribution:

A 9x13 has 117 square inches of surface area .If you poured your brownie mixture to a depth of 1" you would of course have 117 cubic inches

. An 8x8 pan has a surface area of 64 square inches, if you poured the same quantity of mixture into the 8x8 pan it would have a depth of almost 2 inches. The significant difference in the surface area to volume relationship between a 9x13 pan and an 8x8 pan will significantly alter the cooking times and temperatures. I'm pretty sure the glass has something to do with it also - insofar as thermal mass and other things go.

Source(s): a pro w/ teaching experience

I think it is because they hold the heat longer and technically could still be cooking the brownies for a couple minutes when you take it out.

Brownies are supposed to come out of the oven when the center is still a little jiggley, it sets as it cools. If you don't watch it they will be over cooked.

I cook all my cakes etc in a 9x13 glass "pyrex" brand pan. It comes out great every time.

It is because they assume most bakers do not have common sense to cool them longer since they are in a smaller pan and glass cooks hotter. I have used my 8x8 glass pan for years and also have had no problems...

Because the glass dish gets hotter, and with the smaller size may cause brownies to burn or cook more on the outside. However if you set it at a lower temp as someone else already suggested you should be fine as long as you monitor it closely toward the end of the cooking time.

• ?

Yes you can definitely use regular pan .