How Smart is Your Right Foot ?

This is so funny that it will boggle your mind. And if you

are anywhere near as stubborn as I am, you will keep

trying at least a few more times to see if you can

outsmart your foot, but you can't.

1. While sitting at your desk, lift your right foot off the floor

and make clockwise circles.

2. Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in the air

with your right hand. Your foot will change direction.

I told you so. And, there's nothing you can do about it!

Go ahead KEEP TRYING ALL YOU WANT !

Have a great day!

P.S. Now try this: Point your index fingers at each other and try to rotate them in opposite directions.Not quite as hard,but you will often find that one or the other simply wags back and forth instead of rotating!

Favorite Answer

Yea, we know how stubborn you are lol. Where did come up with that? We know mom couldnt do it.

OK, I know that I'm a little older but I must have a very very smart right foot. It just kept going until my husband asked me what the hell I was doing and was I losing it? I will say that my circle wasn't exactly round but I can do it and make the number 6 without changing directions. Perhaps it's because I have to be so coordinated in some of the jobs I do such as balancing on a 30 foot ladder and painting and such. Sewing with a foot pedal machine is another good trainer. Your foot does one thing while your hands are doing another.

Strange, I'm actually having the opposite experience.

Had no trouble at all executing trick #1 (making circles with foot while drawing "6"), but found it damn near impossible to do the finger trick.

Both of these tricks seem to rely on the fact that simultaneous movements of opposing symmetrical body parts tend to "mimic" each other as in a mirror image. For example if I point the fingers both forward, the circles are easily drawn in opposite directions because the motions are mirrored (symmetrical). When I point the fingers at each other (as in your trick), circles in opposite directions would require non-symmetrical motions, which becomes much more difficult.

From an evolutionary perspective, I wonder if this has to do with the fact that it creates balance. For example, when we walk, our legs need to move in opposite directions to maintain balance. If we stretch an arm to one side, stretching another to the other side will provide balance, etc. I could see this as a product of natural selection.

I have tried that before! At first my foot changed direction, but if you REALLY think about it and concentrate, you can keep your foot going in the same direction, and I did a couple times. I can't always do it exactly right though. Somtimes my foot will kingd of go in a sharp vertical oval type shape. I know, I'm weird.

• Krynne

Interesting. I did as you said but there was no change. My foot contiued in it's clockward pattern no matter how many times I drew the number 6 in the air.

Guess I'm one of those "weird" people.

OK, not cool!!!! I am too blonde to be concetrating hard on something like this. I have been doing that since you first posted this and i am just now answering. My foot, and hand, and HEAD are all tired now. Boo to you.

J/k, i just now read this, but hey, good blonde joke huh?

That's awesome!

Now try to Pat Your Head and Rub Your Tummy at the same time..

That is the craziest thing! I tried the drawing the six starting with the loop first and was able to do it but the other way I couldn't do it at all!!!!!!

It's because the movements are both controlled by the same side of your brain and cannot take 2 directional commands at the same time. They're lying!

haha that is funny...my right foot starts to change direction just by picking up my right arm , just thinking about the 6.. too funny.. I will share this one..

HMMM i didn't find either one of them to be difficult.

Apparently I am smarter than my right foot. Maybe that is because I did my own homework...lol I found your question through a link you left in someone else's homework question. :-)