Why are insects attracted to light?

Was just wondering. I am very annoyed with the wasps and moths that keep flying around my bedroom, and hovering around my light. What good can getting baked alive do?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It can stop them hovering around your bedroom.

Never come across wasps doing it before.

I wish bloody mosquito's would fry themselves around the light.

If they did you would not be getting an answer and i would be getting some sleep

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There seems to be two theories:

Moths are attracted to light because of their migratory nature. They travel long distances guided by stars and the moon. So, a light bulb may act as a proxy moon,

Some disagree and suggest that moths actually veer away from the light source at the last minute. To the moth, the area just outside of the light appears darker. Moths, being nocturnal, head for the darkest patch - which is always just around the light.

Personally I go with the moon theory.

• 1 decade ago

Most insects navigate by using the Moon as a reference. When it is dark out the mistake the lights for the Moon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Insects such as night flying moths tend to fly by moonlight. Any lamp [light source] will attract them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Different scents are emitted at night. Bees, butterflys etc are attracted to scents of flowers during daylight hours but some plants give off different scents at night also colours and if they are near your house these will attract different insects.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They aren't attracted to the light,they are attracted to the heat the light provides. Insects are cold blooded.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

im not sure why they are attracted to light ...but...if you want to stop the wasps from coming in ...you can hang a paper bag on string at the door and it scares the wasps away... they think its another nest and it works well

• 1 decade ago

Tiimmmeeeeeeeeeeehh!

• 1 decade ago

did you know when neil armstrong landed on the moon he found millions of dead tropical moths that were atracted to the moons bright glow in deep jungle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

bugs use the sun and moon as navigational aids as directional aids for migration, then we invented lights and theey confuse them for either or the moon or sun.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.