Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 decade ago

Good cures for repetitive strain injuries?

Favorite Answer

To clarify, an agonist muscle or muscles are the ones responsible for primary movement, the antagonist muscles act as a 'brake' or as stabilizers to the primary movers and perform the opposite gross movement. Also, massage does not create inflammation. In fact, it does just the opposite- it improves blood circulation, clears the muscles of metabolic wastes, improves the flow of lymph and releases spasmed tissue. All of these factors will reduce edema (inflammation).

The term"repetitive strain" can be a little misleading; it implies that our bodies are not capable of performing repetitive movements without causing damage or pain to the muscles and joints. Our joints are not limited to a finite number of repetitions after which they will inevitably break down and cause us pain.

The problem occurs when we remain in specific positions for long periods of time or use some muscles more than others without strengthening the less-used muscles. Muscles are designed to move bones around a joint from point A to point B and then relax. They are not designed to move to point B and then stay there for many hours. For example, If I asked you to pick up a 10 lb. dumbell and curl it one time then set it down, you could do that pretty easily and without pain. However, if I asked you to curl that same dumbell and hold it in that position for 3 hours, you'd definitely be in pain!

Think about people who work at a computer all day. Their arms and shoulders are rounded forward to work the keybord, back is slouched, neck is strained because of the position of the torso. This causes the chest and shoulder muscles to become tight and locked short; in neurological terminology this is called Sustained Overload. Conversely, the muscles in the upper back becomed strained and locked long because they are trying in vain to bring the chest and shoulders back to an upright, and posturally correct, position. This person will eventually experience pain and numbness in their arms and wrist, which his doctor will diagnose as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, a type of repetitive strain. But, his carpal tunnel and wrist are not the problem; it's the position of his torso and shoulders that is.

By stretching his tight chest muscles and strengthening his upper back, along with improving his body mechanics, this person would be able to alleviate most or all of his pain and the symptoms of Repetitive Strain Syndrome would go away.

This scenario can be applied to any profession where a person is forced into repetitious movements or sustained postures regularly. The body's design capabilities are being violated and the person must learn to counter balance his repeated motions in a more efficient way.You must simply identify, or have a qualified professional identify, muscles that are overly strong and ones that are weaker and causing the imbalances and pain symptoms.

A Neuromuscular Therapist or Rolfer can do that. They are specialists in this field of study.

Source(s): Neuromuscular Therapist, LMT, CPT Pain Relief and Structural Bodywork Specialist
  • clyne

definite I greater my computing gadget use and bowling league to 2 nights each and every week somewhat of a million. after some 3 hundred and sixty 5 days i began out feeling a sharp discomfort in my stunning thumb section whilst making use of the mouse and can drop my bowling ball or skillet whilst i attempted to develop it. I went to dr and became instructed my tendon became strained. He gave me a cortisone shot on 4/30/07, omg did that injury! no longer bowling this season to furnish hand a relax. so a techniques as long as i do no longer pinch my thumb to finger together discomfort has dwindled. so a techniques.