Just off the pill...?

I have been on the estro-step pill for a little over a year now. I just finished a pack the first week of this month when my fiance and I decided to ttc. I was just wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for the pill to be out of your system (I've read different times in different places). Thanks to all!

Favorite Answer

From www.drspock.com:

Dear Dr. Greenfield,

My husband and I would like to get pregnant for our second child. I just stopped taking the Pill. Should I wait a certain amount of time before getting pregnant?

— Marie

Dear Marie,

We usually recommend waiting to conceive until you have had at least two menstrual periods, or for about three months after discontinuing birth control pills. This recommendation is not based on health risk--there is no increased risk to you or to the baby if you conceive right after discontinuing the Pill. But there are still three good reasons to wait:

1. Your periods are often a bit irregular coming off the Pill, and it sometimes takes weeks or months for your cycles to regulate. If you are "trying" to conceive during this time, you may wonder whether you are pregnant every day that your period is late. This can lead to a lot of unnecessary anxiety and money wasted on pregnancy tests.

2. Since your ovulations may be irregular during the first few months, if you do get pregnant your due date may be more difficult to estimate.

3. Again, since your cycles may be irregular during this time, you may not realize right away that you are pregnant. This might delay your initiation of all the things that you planned to do to take good care of yourself in early pregnancy, such as avoiding alcohol, caffeine, etc. Of course, it is best to start these health measures before conception, but not everyone does.

Also, while we are on the subject of preparing for pregnancy--remember to start folate supplementation as soon as you stop taking your birth control pills!

— by Marjorie Greenfield, M.D.

EDITED TO ADD:

If you do want to get pregnant right away....ovulation predictor tests from clearblue easy are very accurate....they helped my husband and I conceive our son...now 1. It's about $25 for 7 of them....you start testing around day 10...until you detect the LH surge....on that day you are most fertile....hopefully you get pregnant! It worked for us the first time we used the ovulation tests and we had been trying for two and a half years!

I was on the pill (Ortho-novum) for 17 years. During that time I had asked my OBGYN if I needed to give my body a break from it. I had heard so many myths about that. He said that the pill only stays in your body for a day, which is why you have to take one everyday or you might get pregnant. My sister-in-law believed the myth and went off the pill. She got pregnant the first month. I have several friends that got pregnant the first month after going off the pill. It took me 3 months to get pregnant after going off the pill, but I don't ovulate regularly, so that was the reason. Good luck!

• Lilly

My doctor told me that it takes about 30 hours for the hormones to leave your body after you took the last pill, then it is completely up to your body to start ovulating again. My doctor also told me that it takes about 3 months for the average woman to get pregnant after coming off the pill, I quit my pill and it took me 6 weeks to get my period back and I got pregnant on that cycle. But it can happen right away, a friend of mine quit the pill and she ovulated 2 weeks after she quit the pill and got pregnant right away, some women are not as fortunate, it takes them longer some over a year but If I were you i would start taking prenatal vitamins and quit drinking and smoking and I would start drinking lots and lots of water because water will help you get healthier Cervical Mucus which is essential for conceiving. Good luck!!

• clyne

this may appear like basically somewhat a stupid question, yet have you ever carried out a try? My sessions have been in all places as quickly as I got here off the implant and had to circulate on the pill becuase i became having them each and every 2 weeks. x

When I went off the pill to have my first child I was advised to wait 3 months before trying to conceive. But with my daughter I was told not to wait (I had some problems with my pap test). My children are now happy and healthy at 8 and 10. Good Luck to you both and have fun!!!!!

I would advice you 6 month for a safe side because, I was pregnant 5 times and you can call the doctor to make sure in order to have a healthy child. Good luck.

Source(s): My life and common sense

I've been off the pill for three months now and nothing. We started trying right away. I'm due next week for my period so hopefully this will be the month!

With my second child, my husband and I were planning on me being off the pill for a few months to a yr before we got pregneant...WRONG! I was off of it for 2 weeks and along came my gorgeous little man..lol..so just relax..keep an ovulation kit handy..and ENJOY trying ;)

Anything between 2 days and 12 months- works different for everybody.

It could work right away if you took the rest of that pack... i wasnt very smart and stopped in the middle and it took me 8 months to conceive, my friend conceived the 2nd month off of her birth control pill... depends I guess on how fertile and how anxious those sperm are :)