Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 1 decade ago

I just started to run again.?

I use to run when I did track. But I was wondering; my legs hurt when I run on asphalt. But I ran on gravel, grass, or the track surface it did not hurt my legs, and I could go longer. I was just wondering why? Or was I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Well ... do you want to hear physics? It comes down to the force of your foot hitting the ground, and the ground having to absorb it to stop your foot. Then there's that whole equal and opposite reaction thing, so your leg is feeling it too.

Asphalt is very hard (not elastic) and gives less, meaning that you stop quicker. Without going into equations you're just going to have to trust me when I say that stopping quicker=much greater force (although I'm sure you can realize that ... sprint fast and sudden turn as compared to sprint fast and slow down over a long period of a time to a stop, which feels like a harder stopping force going through your legs?).

Gravel, grass and tracks are all softer than asphalt and therefore easier on your legs.

Now, for your legs .... the fact that they hurt doesn't necesarrily mean you have shin splints as others suggested (heck, is it your shins that hurt after all?), but that's not a bad guess. Shin splints are extremely common, especially in those people increasing mileage (or just starting up) and those running on harder surfaces (asphalt). Either way, if this continues to bother you ... see somebody who might know more about it. No diagnosis over the web can be that accurate!

Good luck, and I hope that helped! :)

Source(s): Years of running, and lots of collected knowledge as I train for/run events as long as, and even longer than the marathon. That's the time to know about repetitive pounding on the legs!

Asphalt is a less forgiving surface (harder) so the rebound of your foot off it absorbs more shock. Gravel, grass and even the track surface tend to give more and so absorb some of the impact.

Start slowly on any surface and gradually build up your time and you should be fine.

• Yeah it sounds like shin splints. It should go away after awhile, your body will get used to it. If it doesnt go away it could be compartment syndrome in which case you would need to see a doctor. It could also be the type of shoes youre running in.

They call then shin split it happen a lot of runner