Maggs asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

Question about social interaction?

Was reading an article about social interaction. I don't believe it but wanted your advice.

Basically it goes on about social vibing and that people are insecure when they disagree or whatever. Eg:

Person 1 "Damn that's a tall building

Person 2 "Yeah, but the buildings in NYC are way taller"

And that if a person tells you about a problem, you shouldn't offer advice unless they specifically ask for it?

This sounds really weird to me. Is this correct? Or way off base.

Favorite Answer

just a matter of opinion.

people always want to be the source,be the 1st to know and gets the recognition.

• MOVING

Well I don't feel insecure in your first example, I usually say why do you always have to have a comment that puts mine down or why do you always feel the need to be better than I?

And in situation 2 I never offer my advice unless I'm asked. My name isn't Dear Abby and I don't just give my advice out. Usually I"m abrupt and to the point so it's best if I wait for my advice to be given.

I know I get very insecure when I feel as if the person is "attacking" my point that I make. Someone from up North says people down here talk slower(except me), but up North they pronounce everything correct. Okay, that statement just put me down as a person and I called them out on that. Maybe the article is saying that we are sensitive people and "how" a person says something matters too.

Social interaction is a dynamic, changing sequence of social actions between individuals (or groups) who modify their actions and reactions due to the actions by their interaction partner(s). In other words they are events in which people attach meaning to a situation, interpret what others are meaning, and respond accordingly.

Social interactions can be differentiated into:

accidental (also known as social contact) - not planned and likely not repeated. For example, asking a stranger for directions or shopkeeper for product availability.

repeated - not planned, bound to happen from time to time. For example, accidentally meeting a neighbour from time to time when walking on your street;

regular - not planned, but very common, likely to raise questions when missed. Meeting a doorman or a security guard every workday in your workplace, dining every day in the same restaurant, etc.

regulated - planned and regulated by customs or law, will definitely raise questions when missed. Interaction in a workplace (coming to work, staff meetings, etc.), family, etc.

In sociological hierarchy, social interaction is more advanced than behavior, action, social behavior, social action and social contact, and is in turn followed by more advanced concept of social relation. In other words, social interactions, which consist of social actions, form the basis for social relations

Perhaps closer to the mark is the need to be needed. In your first example, it gives the idea that person two have been to NYC. A conversation may arise from that

I think that those examples may be true for some cases, but not all.