Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

SSN number lost. Should I be concerned?

I lost my pocket diary containing my personal details including my SSN number. If somebody finds it out, will he be able to do any damage to me like withdraw money from my account? I have heard that SSN numbers cannot be used as any form of authorization. So should I be concerned? After all I have worked with many employers and I have revealed my SSN number to all of them.

Favorite Answer

To be safe, you should contact the credit bureaus (like Equifax) and request some type of credit alert. You'll have to verify some information that only you should be familiar with, but once it's established, it's well worth it.

If any company tries to establish an account with your name and SSN, before anything is approved, the company has to contact you and verify that YOU are the one trying to establish that account.

Hope this helps...

Recent News Article --A scam artist is using other people's Social Security numbers to open credit accounts, then charging thousands of dollars by using false identification. Investigators said the suspect racked up charges in eight local counties.

In the single case where an alleged victim has come forward, the scammer bought $32,000 in that person's name. Investigators say the suspect, who was captured in the act by surveillance video at a Smithfield store, was racking up thousands of dollars with stolen ID's while Ronald Bankston in Walker, La., got the bills.

"He's got their Social Security number," said Smithfield Police Det. Matt Behe. "He's also made a fake license with his picture in it and their information."

Behe got involved when Bankston called to report fraudulent charges in his name at Lowe's and Wal-Mart in Smithfield. Behe learned someone using the same identification also charged accounts at 18 different stores throughout the area, including sites in Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville and Wilson, buying mostly big-ticket items.

"And that's just with one ID," said Behe. "We've learned he's using two other fake ID's also, so the amounts are probably phenomenal."

Investigators said the suspect first visited the Smithfield Lowe's in July. When he returned last week using a different name, employees became suspicious and made sure the security cameras were rolling.

Detectives said the suspect has used other fake identifications from New Hampshire, Texas and Indiana.

WRAL spoke with Bankston's wife, Tammy, who is trying to sort out their new credit problems. She said they have no idea how someone got her husband's name and Social Security number.

"It's been crazy," said Tammy Bankston. "I've been a nervous wreck. This is something you don't want to happen to you."

Detectives said they believe the man is still in the area and hope someone will recognize him.

"He's still out there, still hitting," said Behe. "No telling how many ID's he's got."

• Titus

Yes, in the wrong hands this could be used to cause you harm.

Let's hope that it is returned to you by an honest person as there is a lot more of them in the world than crooks.

Social Security cards are not to be used as ID cards anyway, so when you get it back, place it in a safe place.

NO! In 68 years I have lost my soc. card several times. If someone wants to use your soc number they cannot get money with it. It is not a credit card. If they want to use it for a job, their soc. savings will be deposited in your account, although I don't know anyone who would be dumb enough to do it. There have been a few cases where someone has had trouble collecting their soc. sec. income because of someone using their card, but in my life time, I have only heard of it happening very few times. When it does happen, it is usually made public.

Yes, you should be very concerned...with your ssn someone can do all sorts of mishchief...apply for credit online...etc in your name...nightmare

Be concerned, be very concerned! It is the number one tool for identity thieves.

Not at all, what was your number again?