we're planning a 1st birthday party for 50 people, i need advice on what to serve for food & how much to get

I would like to do things easy yet keep my costs down as it is a just a 3 hr. event! I was thinking maybe pizza and wings or sandwiches, but I don't know how to figure out how much of everything to order, should i use a catering service? order out? should i have a salad(or salads). Any advice would be good.

Favorite Answer

Hey your halfway there, just do sammies filled with lovely fillings.Hot savories you make yourself(puff pastry rolled out and slap on your fav cheeses etc) plus butterfly cakes for dessert easy & no real cost everyones a winner. For variety you can add clery sticks filled with blue cheese, brie, cammebert the list is endless. Chuck some crackers in too.good luck

For a 3 hr event you can stay pretty light but have enough for people to nibble along on if they are going to up and moving around your home. Try HGTV and Food Network websites for party ideas. If it's still going to be warm and you're good at grilling and there are children present what could be better than hotdogs and you can dress it up with cold salads (potatoe, macaroni, etc.) for the adults. You can make the trimmings ahead of time and all that you have to 'cook' during will be the 'dogs'. My daughter got a lovely little cake stand from a catalogue online but I can't remember the name of it. She just typed in "child's birthday party' in the search engine. She picked the red Winnie the Pooh stand and it fit perfectly for the 6 inch cake he had all to himself. His birthday is coming up again and of course the theme is "cars" from the movie recently out. Have a wonderful time and don't stress yourself out. The day of your childs birthday is only once and if you're too busy you'll miss it. I made that mistake when my daughter got married. I cooked, directed and choreographed the WHOLE thing only to miss it because I was so tired all I wanted was it be over so I could go home and get in my bed ..lol.... HAVE A BLAST!!

No need for catering. Pizza is the safest & easiest route considering you're catering to both children & adults, EVERYONE likes pizza! I would buy 10 pizzas & make sure to have potato chips, dips & of course goodie bags for the kids. Have fun!

i fyou go with a big sanwich most sandwich shops can tell you how big for how many people, or what platter to choose. if you have access to costco that's the way to go, platters of veggies and roll sandwiches and a sheet cake (snacks like chips and dip too), or burgers and hot dogs. pizza can get expensive and high maintainance - who likes what or is allergic to what or is lactose intolerant. but a store that sells food in bulk is the cheapest way to go usually.

Have a bar-b-que with hot dogs and hamburgers. Have family members bring something. That's what we usually do. My specialty is baked beans and macaroni salad. Make a drink with Hawaiian Punch and Seven-up. I usually mix half and half in a large pitcher. Chips and dip are good to with it too.

We did a BIG batch of white chili (made with chicken & northern white beans & green chilis) and cornbread with chips & salsa. I just used the recipe on the back of Bush's Northern Beans and tripled it. I had 30 people at my daughters 1st b-day last October and it was super!

I work in a butcher shop/deli and when people ask me how much ....? I usually figure about a 1/4 to 1/3 lb. of whatever youre serving per person. Dunno bout pizza wise. I would figure maybe 2 slices each?